Error importing data while migrating Jira

Gabor Majoros June 19, 2012

Coming from JIRA v4.1.2, and trying to migrate to JIRA 5.0.6.

Went through the migration steps, I think correctly. On first attempt to migrate got the following error message :

"(SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO jiraaction (ID, issueid, AUTHOR, actiontype, actionlevel, rolelevel, actionbody, CREATED, UPDATEAUTHOR, UPDATED, actionnum) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Incorrect string value: '\xEF\x83\xA"

This is quite similar to this report : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/55520/error-importing-data-while-migrating-jira-incorrect-string-value

So dropped&recreated the database, unzipped the xml backup and uploaded it to the server (debian).

Issued sed -i 's/^C//g' backup.xml - there was no output (no error, no summary not success confiramtion), have no clue if that's good or bad...

And tried the migration again. This time again the same error message. Could anyone give some help/hint?

9 answers

0 votes
Gabor Majoros June 21, 2012

Great...clean debian install, clean mysql-server install, clean installation of jira.

on migration : "Unable to find ActiveObjects plugin. The plugin must be enabled for the restore to work."

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/54714/jira-5-migration-error-unable-to-find-activeobjects-plugin

This is getting more and more wierd...

0 votes
Gabor Majoros June 20, 2012

Magic...Just reattempted the migration and seems it worked fine. But as far as I remember I have not done anything differently...

I'll ask one of the users to verify if everything is migrated. If that get's verified I'll perform an addtional test migartion to see if I could reproduce the same result. Let's hope the best.

0 votes

Just checked, the command select charset('jiraaction'); seems not returning useful data...

mysql> select charset('jiraaction');

+-----------------------+

| charset('jiraaction') |

| latin1 |

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

It returns the same result even for a non-existent table as well...
mysql> select charset('foo-not exists');
+---------------------------+
| charset('foo-not exists') |
| latin1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

0 votes

http://pastie.org/4123084

Hope meant like this. :)

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012
Can you add the output of show table statu ? This should give the character set of each table
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012
I think your database was created correctly but the table jiraaction seems to have the wrong character set. It should be utf-8 not latin 1 which afaik only stores 8bit characters. Will check this with a working installation tomorrow ..
0 votes

Hi Dieter, thanks for your comment.

Server version: 5.1.61-0+squeeze1 (Debian)

mysql> select charset('jiraaction'); +-----------------------+
| charset('jiraaction') |
| latin1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
Missed the article, thanks. But :
root@jira:~# mysql jiradb -e "show variables like 'char%'" -p
Enter password:
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| character_set_client | latin1 |
| character_set_connection | latin1 |
| character_set_database | utf8 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | latin1 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
This seems ok, and indeed I did create the db with "CREATEDATABASEjiradb CHARACTERSETutf8;"...
Or am I wrong?
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2012
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2012
Did you already check this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-21224?focusedCommentId=198940&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel ?

what is your MySQL version and the encoding of your table jiraaction? Please post the result of

select charset('jiraaction')

Suggest an answer