Error creating JIRA tickets via groovy script set up as a service

Adam Yerkman September 23, 2016

I'm trying to set up a groovy service in JIRA to read a CSV file and create tickets based on values in that. When I run the script manually through the script console, it works as expected. When I set up the service, it doesn't create the tickets and gives the below error.

Error creating issue at 1: Errors: {pid=Anonymous users do not have permission to create issues in this project. Please try logging in first.}
Error Messages: []

My guess is that running this from the script console uses the currently user logged in (myself) which it can't reference while running as a service. This would be why it works from the script console and not as a service.

Below is the snippet of code that is actually doing the creation. While I didn't include it in the code block, assume that issueInput object is a valid IssueInputParameters. If there is anything relevant that is missing from the snippet of code that would be helpful for troubleshooting, let me know and I can fill in any blanks. I figured the entire script might not be necessary since it works just fine from the script console.

ApplicationUser user = ComponentAccessor.UserManager.getUserByName("admin")

IssueService.CreateValidationResult createValidationResult = issueService.validateCreate(user, issueInput)

if (createValidationResult.isValid()) {
	IssueService.IssueResult issueResult = issueService.create(user, createValidationResult)
} else {
	log.error("Error creating issue at " + rowCount + ": " + createValidationResult.getErrorCollection())
}

Based on the requirements I have, it is not an acceptable solution to allow anyone to create issues in the project.

What changes needs to be made, either to the script or otherwise, to allow this service to create issues in the project?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2016

yeah that rings a bell. Try setting the logged in user at the top:

ComponentAccessor.jiraAuthenticationContext.setLoggedInUser(...)

0 votes
Pravin May 24, 2021

Hi @Adam Yerkman ,

Could  you please share complete script for this ?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2016

The first line doesn't look correct. I think you want:

ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName("admin")

see https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/jelly-migration.html#_in_code

Adam Yerkman September 26, 2016

You are correct that there was a typo on the first line. Correcting that did not resolve the error that I'm getting though.

I looked through the linked page again and also tried changing it up to get the current logged in user instead of a user provided by me. This would be similar to the create issue script on that page. When running though, it appears that the user gets set to a null value.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2016

There is no current logged in user in a service. Even if you run it manually.

Can you add some logging so you can see at what point it gets set to a null value.

Adam Yerkman September 26, 2016

The NPE was when I tried to log the username of the current logged in user when the service was running. It would be expected to be null since there is no current logged in user.

I put some logging in right before I call the IssueService.validateCreate() method to output the username of the user object I have in the script. It outputs:

Import CSV Service [c.c.jira.csv.CSVImport] Username of user object is: admin

According to the API docs at https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/latest/com/atlassian/jira/bc/issue/IssueService.html#validateCreate(com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser,%20com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueInputParameters), it would use the user I'm passing it, but it seems to be ignoring it.

Adam Yerkman September 27, 2016

That did the trick. Could you convert that comment to an answer for me to mark as accepted? I feel like that would best to show others that might get here what the solution to this specific problem was.

Suggest an answer