• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Erroneous warning "You cannot perform this action. The approval "my-approval" is currently used in some Workflow. Do you want delete from all mappings?" when deleting an approval

Erroneous warning "You cannot perform this action. The approval "my-approval" is currently used in some Workflow. Do you want delete from all mappings?" when deleting an approval

Daniel Andrew Felipe February 8, 2017

Can confirm that the approval to be deleted is isolated away from any workflows or mappings and confirming the deletion via the prompt did not net any negative effect on our current configurations.
Can this be modified so as to not give administrators cause to review their configuration when deleting an approval?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2017

Hello Daniel,

I suppose that the Approval that you have deleted is used in an approval configuration specialized for a single issue (https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Define+Approvals+for+an+issue).

The add-on alerts if the approval that you are going to delete has been used in an approval mapping or in an approval configuration specialized for a single issue.

Obviously the alert is misleading because doesn't give evidence of the second aspect.

We will update the text on the warning.

In order to validate my hypothesis, could you please run the following query on the database?

SELECT DISTINCT project.pkey as ProjectKey, jiraissue.issuenum as IssueNumber,
AO_D195E9_ISSUE_APPROVAL.ISSUE_ID as IssueId
FROM [database_name].AO_D195E9_APPROVAL LEFT JOIN 
[database_name].AO_D195E9_ISSUE_APPROVAL ON
AO_D195E9_APPROVAL.ID = AO_D195E9_ISSUE_APPROVAL.APPROVAL_ID
LEFT JOIN 
[database_name].jiraissue ON jiraissue.ID = AO_D195E9_ISSUE_APPROVAL.ISSUE_ID
LEFT JOIN [database_name].project ON project.ID = jiraissue.PROJECT
WHERE
AO_D195E9_APPROVAL.NAME = 'my-approval'
AND AO_D195E9_ISSUE_APPROVAL.TYPE = 'SINGLE_ISSUE';

The query returns the issues associated to 'my-approval' and having an approval configuration specialized for single issue.

Please, let me know if it fixes the issue.

Sincerely,
Antonella

Daniel Andrew Felipe March 16, 2017

Hello Antonella,

Late reply again.

Given your explanation I guess my error showed up because instead of deleting the mapping first, I deleted the project before I went and deleted the approval. A record must have dangled due to that and promptly shown the error.

We don't use the single issue approval definition feature but extra logging when things aren't right is always a plus.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Daniel

Suggest an answer