Epics that span multiple fix versions

Loza March 29, 2013

I'm introducing the issue type of epic to our team, and I have a question about how they'll affect our ability to release versions.

Our epics often span multiple releases. If I have an epic with fix version 1 and fix version 2, will I be able to release fix version 1 even though the epic will still be unresolved & not closed?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2013

to ensure that nothing assigned to that version is still pending

There are plug-ins in the Marketplace that could help you. For instance, the Links Hierarchy Structure. It allows you to explore Epics and versions from many point of views and ensure that nothing relelevant is missing:

A) The hierarchical version report collects any issue fixing and/or affecting the target version, thus you can easily see what is included/missing in the release and any dependencie too.

B) Or you could also explore the release from an Epic point of view from many locations: from the Epic issue page -> unmark any undesired version and left marked only the target version and maybe unversioned issues. You could combine it with the resolved filter to view only pending issues.

Regards

Pablo (the plug-in author)

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2013

Sure. Why not? An issue can have multiple fix versions.

Loza March 30, 2013

Thanks for your response, Timothy. I thought one of the values of releasing a version is to ensure that nothing assigned to that version is still pending. Am I missing something?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2013

So, which do you want? Epics with multiple version or not to break the values?

Loza April 4, 2013

As is typical for a product manager, I want both :)

Suggest an answer