Epics not showing in the Epic Panel on JIRA board

ISHITA VERMA November 7, 2016

Hi,

I am facing an issue wherein none of the epics of my filter are showing up on the Epic panel of the JIRA sprint board

Additional Information:

1. JIRA board filter is of the type below:
    project in (ABC) AND issuetype in (Bug, Enhancement, Epic, "Support Issue", Task, Sub-task) AND status in (Open, Reopened, "Design Complete", "In Design", "In Development", "Awaiting Release", Fixed, "Awaiting Validation", "Awaiting Prioritization") AND "Epic Link" in (XYZ-123)

Can you please help me with this as soon as possible.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

Hi Ishita,

Try to split what you want in your result into 2 parts. Part 1 would be the part where you select your epics:

Issuekey in (abc-123, abc-456, xyz-123)

And the part 2 would be the issues linked to those epics:

Project in (ABC) and ... and "Epic Link in (abc-123, abc-456, xyz-123)"

And finally, you combine the 2 together:

(Part 1) OR (Part 2)

Where the 'OR' is making sure you get both sets of issues together in 1 result.

Given that you are trying to create a filter for a Scrum board, why are you trying to limit the epics in your selection (you don't have to answer, I'm just wondering). After all, in the planning section of your sprint board you can select and filter issues from any epic by simply clicking it. And only the issues you add to a sprint will appear on the active sprint board.

0 votes
Dennis T February 26, 2020

For others with similar issues, the Epic Status field might be to blame.

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

Hi Ishita,

The last part of your JQL statement is the suspect to go for. You limit your selection to issues having an Epic Link to (XYZ-123). Epics cannot be linked to another epic using the Epic Link field. So as a consequence, you are excluding all epics from your search results.

ISHITA VERMA November 7, 2016

Thank you for the answer,

I want to create a JIRA board filtering out issues linked with certain epics,

if the above filter will not work, can you help me with a way i could create a JIRA board filter query that filters out all the issue linked with a group of epics and all those epics are also shown in the EPic panel on the JIRA board too

Suggest an answer