Epics do not see completed issues as completed

Mark May 30, 2019

I have checked on these forums and the proposed answers don't seem to answer my problems.

Epics do not see completed issues as completed so when I try to mark an epic as done it tells me that there are still issues open.

I have administrator rights to my Jira instance but the resolution field does not show for me to be able do to a bulk update.

I have set up an additional status and transitions in the workflow for the board, and set it to update resolution to done in the transition (I don't have an option to make it resolved) but the epic still sees these as open - even when transitioning them between the new status and the done status where the transitions are updating the resolution.

How do I solve this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jake April 27, 2022

0 votes
Morgan Folsom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2019

Hi Mark, 

Natively, Jira does not close an epic when it's children are closed (or vice versa). 

Are you trying to close other issues in an Epic based on the Epic closure? Where are you seeing that Jira is considering the issues as open?

If you've got any screenshots that show what you're seeing, and what you're trying to do, that would help clarify what's going on here. 

Mark May 30, 2019

When I am in the backlog view I click on the drop down arrow on the right in the epic column and then click "Mark as Done"

It then tells me "4 issues are not yet completed in this epic" even though they are Done and have followed the workflow and when I open them their status is Done.

I have read that this could be as a result of the Resolution field on the ticket not having been set upon transition to done. I have set up a new status with a transaction that does update that field upon moving back to Done, but this has not changed anything in terms of what Jira tells me when I try to close the epic (as above)

Suggest an answer