Epics and sprints

I have my epic and 6 stories linked to the epic. I estimated story points for the 6 stories but not the epic. I started my 2 week sprint and have some clarification questions:

1. Should I have put estimated effort in for the 1 epic?

2. Should the epic have been included with the sprint?

3. If I am not including it in the sprint but the 6 stories have to be complete before I can close the epic how do I manage this one epic? Do I mark it as in progress or does it get changed automatically when someone begins a task on one of the 6 stories?

3 answers

1 accepted

This may be down to personal preference. I've not found "proper" way of doing it. Maybe if Jira ever supports full nesting instead of just sub-tasks this might change.

On my team we keep the Epic in the backlog "pinned" i.e. just below the last story needed to complete it. The Epic always moves with that last story. If the order changes, then the epiv gets "pinned" to the last story.

Anything that happens to the last story happens to the Epic, i.e. moveing into sprints, being closed, being re-orderd on the backlog.

We don't estimate the Epic itself.

Hope that helps.

I'm curious how you 'pin' the Epic - is it just knowing which is the 'last' ticket for that Epic? or is there some way of relating them so they move together?

Gayathri

I'm afraid not... we just move them together manually.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

213 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you