Epics, Versions in separate projects from Stories

susan.walker May 10, 2016

I have a separate project for Epics.  In the epic project, I have versions defined.   The stories are linked to the epics in the separate project, and all my boards are configured to see the epics and the associated stories.  The problem I am having is that the epic is placed in a version.  The stories and story points are not reflected in the version or version reports.   The epic issue itself does not have story points, as all the stories that are contained in it have their own story point estimates.   How can I get the rollup of story points to appear in the epic, and therefore the version?   My release burndown is essentially blank.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Releases (i.e. Fix Versions) are project-specific.  Epics should not have a release since stories could span multiple sprints and/or multiple versions.  Add the versions to the project where the stories reside.

susan.walker May 11, 2016

Thank you so much for responding.  I actually need to have an overall view of all my projects consolidated in a management view.  How can I show the status of all project versions together?   If I add versions to each project, they will all start and end on the same day, but they are considered separate.   I do really need some kind of consolidated, synchronous statusing mechanism.  Any further suggestions to help with this?

Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Use only one project. If version A from project A needs to be reported with version B from Project B, then shouldn't those versions be in the same project?

Use the JIRA Road map gadget on a dashboard.  You can select All projects or multiple projects.

Suggest an answer