Epic field name not populating while creating an Epic

mnpiad November 28, 2016

I am using JIRA cloud. I have a Project with custom issuetype and default other issue type (epic , bug, story). in the scrum board when i try to create an epic  from scrum board with issuetype (custom or epic) it is not populating the "Epic Name" field  any idea what am i missing ?

Thanks

6 answers

0 votes
mnpiad November 29, 2016

yes that's what i did and seems it is the correct way to do it  thankyou

0 votes
Damian Rosochacki November 29, 2016

Mehul, your last statement is correct. If you want to have different fields for different issue types, you need to define screens and screen schemes for each issue type.

For example, you'd create a Screen for the Epic (this defines the what fields appear), assign it to a Screen Scheme (this defines what screen is used for what operation for that issue type - like create, edit, or view), then assign that Screen Scheme to the Epic issue type in the Issue Type Screen Scheme in the project. 

0 votes
mnpiad November 29, 2016

yes i found the issue.  when creating a project i had selected default issue type ( bug , epic story) and one custom issue type for agile scrum.

For custom issue type i had custom screen and for others it was set to default screen. i had hoped that for  bug, epic and story it would have it own  scrum default screen selected but was not the case.seems i have to select the screen for each issue type in issue type screen

When i added  "Epic name" field in default screen . it worked fine

I had created an custom issue type scheme which had all the issue type added [ custom , story , task , epic] but have not mapped the screen for each issue type 

another better solution: which worked better for me

I added  which screen to display for a particular issue type  in Issue type screen scheme

for Epic, story , task , bug ------ scrum default screen scheme

for custom issue type — custom screen scheme

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

Please make sure that Epic Name is added to the screens which belong to Epic issue type.

0 votes
Damian Rosochacki November 28, 2016

For clarification: The Epic Name field should only be available for the Epic issue type (on the other issue types you'd want to use the "Epic Link" field to link the new issues to the appropriate Epic). 

Second: Is the Epic Name available when you try to create a new issue using the "Create" button in the top navigation bar (vs. using the Create issue link on a scrumboard)? If it isn't, update the appropriate screen with that field.

Like Steven said, a screenshot would be helpful.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

Perhaps a screenshot? I can't barely guess what the issue is...

Suggest an answer