Epic & Story time-tracking roll-up

Saima.gul April 2, 2020

Hi, We are using Epics, Stories and Sub-tasks in our classic Jira project and the hierarchy is defined as below

1. Epic - Parent initiative

2. Story, Bug and Task - Child development tasks - 1 item is completed in one sprint.

3. Sub-tasks - other tasks and tracking isn't required. 

The estimates are being done at a story level. 

Is there a way that story, bug, task estimates can roll-up to parent Epic? 

6 answers

1 accepted

Thomas Robbs August 20, 2021

Voted - thanks @Jay 

Like Michael Golden likes this
6 votes
Thomas Robbs August 11, 2021

Sadly, this seems to be another miss by Atlassian.

On my Epic, I can see the time-tracking, with the "Include sub-tasks" checkbox checked, but the time tracking does not roll up.  I get that Stories/Tasks/Bugs that are children of the Epic aren't technically "Sub-Task" issues, but this seem to just be a miss in the design of handling this roll-up for Epics.  Is there a ticket for this for Jira Cloud?  I'd vote for it.

In the meantime, the way to do this without having to add yet another add-on is to...

• Open your Epic.
  • Click on the "three dots" above the "Issues in this Epic" (over to the far right of that title).
  • Click "View in Search".
  • Ensure the "Σ Time Spent" column is added to your view.
  • Export to CSV (current fields).
  • Load in your favorite spreadsheet app.
  • Sum the "Σ Time Spent" column (it's exported in seconds)
2 votes
Arkadiusz Głowacki April 3, 2020

Hi @Saima.gul

You can give a try to Panorama (or the lite version which is free). It roll-up not only story points but any numeric fields you have (like cost, a logged time, etc.).

image.png

Saima.gul April 5, 2020

Thanks @Arkadiusz Głowacki , will try the lite version of Panorama. 

Carrie Hunt April 19, 2023

This is JIRA Cloud only ... 

1 vote
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2021

Hi All,

If you would be interested in a ready made solution, you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page.

Epic Hierarchy is made available on Epic Issue screen as well by the add-on

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Real time edit option for Issue summary, status, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree on the Epic Hierarchy
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud.PNG

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen_Cloud.PNG

1 vote
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

Hi @Saima.gul 

Yes. I suggest you use portfolio for Jira all of your estimation roll up.

Saima.gul April 5, 2020

Thanks @Ashkan Malekly
We have tested portfolio and it's great, but I'm looking for something simpler. 

Santosh C
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2023

Is this available in JIRA roadmaps? we are using JIRA server (on prem version) which has roadmaps, I am looking for roll out timelines from Tasks and stories to be shown up in Epics, so that we can view it in the roadmap (rather than adding manually)

0 votes
Aleksey Lazaryev January 26, 2021

@Saima.gul , did you get a solution. I have Jira, Jira for Portfolio and EasyBI installed. I want to see the hours roll-up in Jira for all my Epics. My team logs their time against the Stories, Tasks, et and not the Epic. I need the roll-up hours to show up in EasyBI. Let me know if you found a solution.

Suggest an answer