Epic Name is required - JIRA Cloud

Simon November 28, 2019

Hi, 

I am a JIRA admin. When I want to create a new Epic, in the modal that appears the option for "Epic name" has been removed. 

How can this be fixed? 

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Simon

Are you using Classic or New view? If New View, screen layout is not defined through Screens but through Issue Layout:

1. Go to your Project and select Project Settings from the left-hand menu
  2. Select "Issue Layout"
  3. Expand the layout related to Epic and ensure Epic Name is not in the hidden list

If it is Classic, to check what screen the Epic uses in a project:

1. Go to your Project and select Project Settings from the left-hand menu
  2. Select Screens from the left-hand menu, and note which screen has "Epic" under it

^ This might help you locate the right screen; if not the information above might.

If neither of these help, could you see Epic Name before? Does it impact all projects or just one? Do projects use different screens at all? And does this impact all users?

A screenshot might also help us to decipher what kind of view you're seeing :)

Ste

Tazo Lezhava January 31, 2023

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

I tried your suggestion (in the New view) and I don't see any hidden fields, also for some reason Epic fields are not found at all

no epic found.jpg

Additionally, I checked the screens (like the Old view) and Epic Name is in the screen associate with Task Create operation, but it still doesn't show up.

As a work around, I started creating tasks directly under the Epic, hoping it would assign the Epic Name value automatically, but unfortunately I can't even use Epic in the "Issue Search" (I tried both UI and JQL query)

JQL.jpgUI.jpg

I hope you can help with what I am missing.

Thanks,

P.S. I am in a Free Tier version, in case this is the reason

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2023

Hi @Tazo Lezhava 

Is this a Company-managed or Team-managed Project?

And is it a Work Management or Software Project?

Ste

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2019

You need to go to Project settings > Screens and add it to the create screen for Epics

Simon November 28, 2019

Thanks for the help. When I navigate to Project settings > Screens, I don't see any screens for Epics. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2019

Not surprised. You likely have a single screen. You can certainly add Epic Name to this screen. The only downside is that you will have Epic Name shown on the create for all issue types which is fine but if you want you can create a uniques screen and screen scheme.

Simon November 28, 2019

I have a number of screens but epic is not one of them 

Suggest an answer