Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]

Simon Brugger June 17, 2013

Hi,

I want to create an Epic and I got two Epic Name fields:

* Epic Name

* Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]

both are required. I removed "Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]" from my default screen. But Jira still needs to fill out both fileds. :(

Thank you.

8 answers

1 vote
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

I suggest you look into:

GHS-7120

This documentation on duplicate GreenHopper fields

You may need to enter a support ticket for this as (apparently) with GreenHopper version 6.1.4.2 we can no longer delete GreenHopper custom fields (they are managed directly by GreenHopper itself).

0 votes
Shawn Smith December 15, 2013

I found a fix that worked for me that seems obvious in retrospect. The problem boils down to the fact that the "deprecated" field is required.

For the Default Screen configuration, I added both fields ("Epic Name" and "Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]"). Then I configured the "deprecated" one to be Optional instead of required. Then I went back to the Default Screen configuration and removed the "deprecated" field.

0 votes
Shawn Smith December 15, 2013

I'm using the hosted version of JIRA, which I assume is up-to-date, and I also get this error when I try to create an Epic ("Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]: Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used] is required.").

Under custom fields, I see two fields for Epic Name:

• Epic Name
  • Epic Name [deprecated, this field is no longer being used]

Understandably, I enabled the first one, but it it seems I have to use the "deprecated" one instead. Or both? Makes no sense.

0 votes
Simon Brugger June 18, 2013

I'm running:

JIRA: v5.2.9 and GreenHopper: v6.1.6

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

Also you may wish to check out issue GHS-7120; check comments for the scenario they describe in which an upgrade may not have completed successfully - it might be the reason why you're seeing both fields.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2013

Hmm, I see what you mean - GreenHopper created custom fields are all shown as "Locked" in the field configs and also appears they cannot be deleted either. I'm wondering how the second field stuck around after your upgrade - what versions of JIRA and GreenHopper are you running?

0 votes
Simon Brugger June 17, 2013

yes it's required and locked. It's one of the system fields of green hopper. I can't change any configuration to it.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2013

Did you check the field configuration for that issue type of your field configuration scheme to see if you have it set as required there?

Suggest an answer