Epic Link and Sprint fields automatically adding to screens

Thomas Lamson December 16, 2014

Has anyone ever experienced a situation where the Epic Link and Sprint fields magically appearing at the bottom of almost all the active JIRA issue screens?  Even after removing them they show back up after about a week.

We're assuming this is a system problem and not something being created by human intervention because these two fields are even being added to the default screen Home tab when they already exist on another tab we have labeled Agile.  And as everyone who has tried knows, it is impossible to add a field to a screen's tab until it has been removed from any other tab it may be on in that screen.  This is what leads us to believe there may be some corruption in the database that's causing this "re-add" we're experiencing.

Please post any suggestions or similar experiences you may have seen because at this point we're stumped.

Thank you.

8 answers

2 votes
Jim Mackin April 1, 2015

We're going to escalate this up. We have these fields showing up on non-JIRA Agile project screens, technical task screens (where they don't make sense), and all of our system. I keep deleting them and they keep being recreated. Very poor behaviour on the part of the JIRA Agile plugin, which seems to where the offending code resides.

Chuck Vanderwist August 19, 2015

Is there a bug for this problem? I'd like to add myself as watcher and weigh in on the impact of this problem to my business. Thanks!

1 vote
Deleted user August 7, 2016

We are experiencing this problem, too. After searching a bit I stumbled upon this question.

This bug has been fixed in JIRA 7.1.0 Server. The best way to solve our problem seems to do an upgrade.

Please refer to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12055 for details

0 votes
Shannon Davis June 2, 2016

I have the same issue.  I would love a way to distinguish between projects using Agile and projects that do not.  We use JIRA (6.3.x) for both software development and operational projects (the latter includes marketing data updates, server and database configuration requests, etc).  I have spent time with each group designing their screens and it's frustrating when these fields keep re-appearing.  I hope JIRA 7x allows you to mark projects as "Agile" or "Non-Agile" so that you can keep those fields from appearing where not wanted.

0 votes
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

For those who are not aware yet: this feature was added by them in some recent version (6?). The fields are added to every screen automatically, for example sprint fields are also added to screens that are used only for Epics. Or to screens that are never used in scrum workflows.

We have more that 100 screens, so on advice of them, we cleaned them up all. It was fine, ... until... we restarted Jira. At restart these fields are again added to every screen.

0 votes
Eric Babinet August 6, 2015

This is happening for us frequently and it's very annoying. Anyone have any luck solving this?

0 votes
Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2015

I have the same problem that keeps happening randomly. I have none of the code that Andre mentions below.

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2014

We had a similar case where the culprit was a Javascript code in one of the field's description in that screen (can be any field there). You can also check the Announcement Banner to see if is there any codes there, maybe it can help.

Cheers,

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

Not the answer your looking for. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10767

0 votes
Ethan Trewhitt December 19, 2014

I have had this problem. We have plenty of non-Agile projects and the field is distracting and annoying in those projects. I also want to know how to fix it.

Suggest an answer