Enabling the ability to edit Issue Type in Jira

Heath Birkholm February 18, 2015

Is there a way I can edit a person's role, to be able to edit the Issue Type field, without granting them admin permissions?

We have had a couple people that would like to clone issues and then turn them into Test Cases, but the edit option on the Type field is disabled.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2015

I assume you are talking about the Issue Type. Not a custom field called Type.

What these users should do, after cloning, is using Move to change the issue type. This is since Issue types are different than other fields: it's a JIRA system field which changes the layout (screens), workflow & field configuration. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

You would also be able to change the issue type on-screen, but only if the configuration for the source type and the test case type are the same. If they are not, then you have to use "move", as Peter says, because Jira needs more information to allow the type conversion.

Thank you both for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if you might know, is there is a way to do this in a bulk process? Clone multiple issues, and then Move them to give them all the same issue type? Thanks again for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

No and yes. No: There is no "bulk clone" in Jira. But there is an addon which can do it (check the marketplace for "bulk clone") Yes: Bulk edit lets you do the move of issue type. (The bulk clone addon may also implement this, I've not used it recently, so I'm not sure)

Suggest an answer