Embedding attachments into rich text

Hi

One of the problems we have is associating a comment with an attachment, eg: when attaching a file to an issue, we add the comment "refer to the attached document....." - but which document? There's visible relationship between the comment and the attachment (unless you want to get technical and check date/time stamps on the attachments with the date/time stamp on the comment.

When it comes to images, a nice solution is to use the rich text formatting, eg:

Here is an image:

!image.jpg!

When viewing the issue, it shows the image embedded the text.

I can see you can also do it with other media files, eg: wmv, mov, etc

But what about other attachments such as documents or email messages? I'm not expecting it to be able to actually show the content of the document embedded in the text, but it would be a huge help if only it could show an icon, which when you click on it, it opens the attachment - like you can do with email messages.

I've done some googling on this and can't seem to find a solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi David,

I think it is possible. Go to attach file, select a file to attach and you will see that the file got added (Green checkbox infront of the file). Now, go to the comments section below and mention the comment along with the filename that you added above in this format [^filename.ext] and that should be it. The below image should guide you to do it.

After you click on Attach button, the comment section will look like this.

I agree that this is a workaround but something is better than nothing.

~Pranjal Shukla

That's fantastic - exactly what I am after. It's a pity it's not easy to find out about it.

Thanks

David

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

26 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you