Emails to/from clients as a Comments in Issues

Gabriel Porras January 3, 2013

Hello,

Our company is testing Jira and Confluence onDemand.

We use another Online Project Manager but it seems Atlassians products are much better for us.

Well, but I have a question about a feature its cool for our work.

Actually in the other tool we can:

1. Write emails inside tasks and these emails are transformed into comments assigned to the task.

2. Our clients can write to us (to an specific email and with a specific code in the subject) and their emails are assigned as comments into the specifec task.

How it can be done with Jira / Confluence onDemand or how is the recommended way to incorporate clients into our projects?

Thanks a lot of,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2013

You can use a single IMAP mail and do an auto move of the mails into folders using mail rules and then configured JIRA to pick up from each of the folders and create issues for the appropriate project.

And for emailing to users who are not JIRA users, I guess, you may need to use Script Runner. (Store the customer name in a custom field) - https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Post+Functions#PostFunctions-SendEmailWhenBlockerReported

1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure about the first item, I don't believe what you described is possible to do in OnDemand (or just not as described). What you can do is create comments, which are then sent as emails based on your Notification Scheme associated with the project.

With item 2, you can create both issues and comments via email in the way you described.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

-dave

Gabriel Porras January 3, 2013

Thanks Dave,

About the Notification Scheme dont apply because our clients are not Jira users. How is the best way to exchange info with clients and these info will be available into Jira and/or Confluence?

And I have look about the item 2, but the first part is to create an email for every project. Its no easy to our people know the emails for every project to know which one to write. Is it possible this works only with the Code in the subject?

Thanks a lot of!

Suggest an answer