Emails on issue assignment are not sent

philippos October 4, 2016

Emails are sent normally at issue commenting but not at issue assignement. 

Our notification scheme includes notifications to Current Assignee at Issue Creation, Issue Assignment, Issue Comment, Issue Re-open.

Issue assignment does not send emails; what should we do?

2 answers

1 vote
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016

This could be due to someone having the "assignable user" permission, but not the "Browse Projects" permission. "Browse Projects" is needed to be able to see issues in the project, and receive Notifications from the project.

JIRA has a cool built-in tool to figure out what went wrong. Using the admin account, open the issue where the notification was not sent. 

Click Admin -> Notification Helper.

In the Helper, select the assignee, then select the correct event (for some weird reason these may be in another language, our Assigned event is called event.type.vorgangzugewiesen) and press Submit.

It will now list things that might cause the user to get an notification, and in each case explain why they didn't get one.

notif.png.

0 votes
philippos October 5, 2016

Thanks for you answer I checked that. 

I found my root cause which was trivial; we directly edit the "Assignee" field, which does not fire the "Assign" event, and does not send emails.

If you click the "Assign" button, an "Assign" event is normally generated. 

Suggest an answer