Emails not appearing for Jira service desk, and the settings not visible anymore

Johan Johansson October 18, 2017

We have been running Service desk for a while without major issues. Now this week emails stopped getting fetched. So I tried to find where this is set up to see if there is anything that needs to be changed.

Here's the thing, the settings are gone too. Can't see Email requests under Project settings  or under Applications in System configuration, nor in "Manage add-ons".

Jira Service Desk 3.5.0

Jira version 7.3.6

I suspect this has something to do with the following error message:

FAILED PLUGIN REPORT _____________________ 9 plugins failed to load during JIRA startup. 'com.atlassian.servicedesk.servicedesk-notifications-plugin' - 'Service Desk Notifications Plugin' failed to load. The plugin has been disabled. A likely cause is that it timed out during initialisation It has the following missing service dependencies : &resolutionChangeMessageHelper of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation.modules.internal.api.rulewhen.helper.$ &resolutionChangeMessageHelper of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation.modules.internal.api.rulewhen.helper.$ &statusTransitionedMessageHelper of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation.modules.internal.api.rulewhen.helpe$ &statusTransitionedMessageHelper of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation.modules.internal.api.rulewhen.helpe$ &stylingBodyFinaliser of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal.api.notifications.render.StylingBodyFinaliser)(objectCla$ &stylingBodyFinaliser of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal.api.notifications.render.StylingBodyFinaliser)(objectCla$ &customerRequestStatusManager of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal.api.feature.customer.request.CustomerRequestStat$ &customerRequestStatusManager of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.internal.api.feature.customer.request.CustomerRequestStat$ &approvalMessageHelper of type (&(objectClass=com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.au

After I restarted JIRA server, the service desk is working again. But stability wise I want to know how to avoid this from happening again.

This is JIRA server installed on our Linux machine, not cloud.

Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

In my experience the plugins will time out or fail to load when there are not enough resources available.  When I have had issue like this in the past it has to do with processing power.  I would start by increasing the time JIRA allows for plugins to load.  -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 you can learn more about that here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/setting-properties-and-options-on-startup-861253969.html

If that fails to resolve the issue I would monitor the resources on startup and see if the CPU is pegging for extended periods during startup.  If it is add another core and lastly you can look at RAM.  

It could also be anti-virus.  Atlassian has a troubleshooting guide here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshooting-jira-startup-failed-error-394464512.html

0 votes
Maurice
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2017

Hi Johan,

The logs show that Service Desk failed to startup the last time Jira was started. 

Its possible that the Service Desk was taking too long to start, perhaps due to lack of CPU resources, and timed out. In this case you can verify the system has enough CPU resources while Jira starts so that timeouts aren't hit.

You can also increase the plugin timeout to give Service Desk additional time to start up. We commonly recommend setting this to 300 seconds.

JIRA applications System Plugin Timeout While Waiting for Add-ons to Enable

Hope this information helps!

Best regards,
Brian

Suggest an answer