Emails from JIRA don't have correct timezone

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

The timezone in email is PDT when the profile has EDT. But the web site shows the right time EDT. How to correct the timezones in the email

2 answers

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28939 We have investigated this issue and found that in every single case this has been caused by customizations to JIRA. I would urge you try reverting your customizations to see if this issue goes away.

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2012

You did not say what version of JIRA you are using.

JIRA v4.4 introduced support for user time zones.

Note what these notes say... that users can specify their time zone separately from what has been configured as an admin default. So, what you see (as an individual) on "the web site" is not necessarily the final arbiter of how the system itself is set up.

I have not played with this because I have not had problems myself... but you still have problems I would also suggest looking at the underlying time zone configuration of the system that JIRA is running on. Is that PDT when it should be EDT? That might affect headers on outgoing SMTP emails.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

We are using jira 4.4.5. The underlying time zone configured is PST but when user configures his profile with time zone other than PST, the time information which is persisting and showing on website UI is absolutely fine. But in the emails it is rendering the default timezone which is incorrect.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

OK. so how is JIRA configured? As per the linked release notes...

JIRA administrators can change the default time zone by going to 'Administration' > 'General Configuration' (under 'Global Settings'), and editing the 'Default user time zone'.

Is this configuration correct? And if it is, does it differ from the OS configuration?

You can test things by going to Administration' > 'Mail Servers' and sending yourself a test email. Turn on SMTP logging. After sendign, scroll down the Mail Log to the DATA section. Does the Date look right?

DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:32:11 +0100 (BST) <=====

(or whatever is appropriate for your own time zone).

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

I found the Data look correct and the configured Default user time zone is same.

DATA

354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

When you say "the Data look correct" I assume you mean the JIRA "General configuration". Great.

The configured user time zone is the same? Also great.

But how is the timezone configured on the operating system on which JIRA is running? I think you might find that that is set for PDT rather than the EDT that you want.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

JIRA is running on linux and date is correct. It is showing the current time.

-bash-3.2$ date

Wed Jun 13 13:53:36 PDT 2012

Suggest an answer