Email this Issue compared to JEMH

Aristedes Maniatis October 9, 2016

Two plugins are available for improving mail handling of Jira. Both "Email this issue" and JMEH look very capable, with "Email this issue" having a much simpler configuration and JMEH being exactly twice as expensive.

Do others have experience with these plugins and how reliable they are. Is the extra time investment in JMEH (particularly several days of configuration from the look of it) worth the additional results it offers? I know that results will differ depending on how much control we need, but I'm also concerned about being buried in debugging masses of configuration in JMEH compared to relatively simple configuration in the other tool.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 9, 2016

Hi Aristedes, I'm behind Email This Issue with the team of META-INF the vendor. 

I'm not replying here to push our addon, rather encourage your to provide some details of your current needs and potential future goals.

Understanding this, the following conclusions may be drawn: 

• Basic JIRA functionality is enough - easy then
  • either JEMH or Email This Issue can fulfill what you need - easy then
  • both of them fulfills what you need - not as easy because you'll have to decide

If you share some details, I'll let you know if JIRA or Email This Issue is capable of this. Andy will respond on JEMH I believe.

Tibor

0 votes
marc osorno October 25, 2017

Dear @Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_

We are interested in aquiring the Email This Issue plugins, but we have a few questions not really covered on the FAQs. Any chances we can get on a phonecall or chat session for a few minutes?

Thank you very much!

0 votes
Aristedes Maniatis October 10, 2016

Hi Tibor

Thanks for your response. I had written a long detailed response but Confluence threw away my answer because of a session timeout. Let me try again.

I want to enhance the email integration features of JIRA for several reasons:

• Although JIRA have recently added the ability to edit templates without touching velocity files inside the installation, that's brand new and not yet released. I need plenty of flexibilty to remove Jira's branding and insert my own plus customise wording for different transitions.
  • JIRA ServiceDesk forces you into uncomfortable processes in order to enforce their licensing. Developers aren't allowed to talk to customers. Customers aren't allowed to comment on feature requests. So we need email to work around this limitation.
  • I want users to 'reply above the line' instead of being forced back to login to JIRA for every response.
  • I want to be able to distribute files to customers by attaching them to a ticket at the same time as making a comment.
  • Inbound support tickets need to be routed to the correct ServiceDesk project. I'd like to route based on keyword or maybe even the domain that the sender is at.
  • Inbound emails need to be parsed and have rubbish html stripped out, plaintext extracted, etc.
  • I'd like to script reminder emails to customers (for example if they haven't replied for 7 days). Not sure if either plugin can do this without additional cron jobs (jelly?)

I think that's the core bits. The two plugins appear to overlap substantially, but I'm still not clear on the strengths of each. I like the idea of JEMH integration with xmpp, but it doesn't offer that yet, only hipchat.

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 10, 2016

Hi,

I believe both addons can fulfill the above requirements, maybe one exception is scheduled reminders.

Scheduling can be achieved with the free JIRA Automation addon that can fire events / call transitions on issue matching a JQL query. 

Email This Issue then can be configured to send these reminder emails upon the event fired by JIRA Automation or via the Workflow transitions JIRA Automation calls.

Email This Issue will soon release brand new templating with new features that make template development a lot easier (WYSIWYG editor, new themes). And also support for different event notifications for different sets of recipients (e.g. one template for JIRA users, another one for Customers).

Direct integration with JIRA Automation will also come, most probably in Q1 2017.

So upon all of the above, I really think your decision needs to be based on anything but capabilities of the addons.

Email This Issue offers these features and a few step-by-step tutorials. I suppose JEMÍH also has similar resources.

Let me know if you have any more questions, especially on Email This Issue.

Regards,

Tibor

Suggest an answer