• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Email subject: "An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug." - what does this mean?

Email subject: "An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug." - what does this mean?

Phil Cole October 10, 2012

I'm sure this question has been asked previously, but I haven't found where, so if someone has the appropriate link, that'd be great :)

We've started seeing emails being sent by JIRA with the subject "An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug." - what does this really mean and what can I do to resolve?

The body of the message then contains a stack trace:

---- 8< ------

Details:
-------
org.apache.velocity.exception.ParseErrorException:
Encountered &quot;&lt;EOF&gt;&quot; at getEncodedBodyFromContent[line 13,
column 5]
Was expecting one of:
&quot;(&quot; ...
&lt;RPAREN&gt;
&lt;ESCAPE_DIRECTIVE&gt; ...
&lt;SET_DIRECTIVE&gt; ...

&quot;##&quot; ...
&quot;\\\\&quot; ...
&quot;\\&quot; ...

&lt;TEXT&gt; ...
&quot;*#&quot; ...
&quot;*#&quot; ...

&lt;STRING_LITERAL&gt; ...
&lt;END&gt; ...

&lt;IF_DIRECTIVE&gt; ...
&lt;STOP_DIRECTIVE&gt; ...

&lt;INTEGER_LITERAL&gt; ...
&lt;FLOATING_POINT_LITERAL&gt; ...

&lt;WORD&gt; ...
&lt;BRACKETED_WORD&gt; ...
&lt;IDENTIFIER&gt;
&lt;DOT&gt; ...
&quot;{&quot; ...
&quot;}&quot; ...

at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1203)

at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1165)

at
org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.evaluate(VelocityEngine.java:219)

at
com.atlassian.velocity.JiraVelocityManager.getEncodedBodyForContent(JiraVelocityManager.java:81)

at
com.atlassian.jira.template.velocity.DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine$DefaultRenderRequest.asPlainText(DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine.java:91)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$1.processRecipient(MailingListCompiler.java:305)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.NotificationRecipientProcessor.process(NotificationRecipientProcessor.java:39)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.addMailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:342)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.access$400(MailingListCompiler.java:48)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.addEmailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:500)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:470)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendForEvent(MailingListCompiler.java:428)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:141)

at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem.send(IssueMailQueueItem.java:159)

at
com.atlassian.mail.queue.MailQueueImpl.sendBuffer(MailQueueImpl.java:66)

at
com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService.run(MailQueueService.java:28)

at
com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)

at
com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
at
com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)

at
org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: bulk
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-JIRA-FingerPrint: 02f47d60ecfd810cec06f89bfef02c06

---- >8 ----

and the body of the message that it was trying to send.

I have done some changes to templates today, but these messages started to be sent before the JIRA instance was restarted to pick up the template change.

Anyone know where I should start looking to resolve this issue?

Cheers

Phil

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2012

You don't always need to restart Jira to pick up template changes - it reads the email templates on demand, and if it hasn't used one for a while, it may have dropped out of the cache, forcing it to re-read the .vm (which you've changed)

I suspect the fact the messages started before you restarted is a bit of a red-herring, and it's actually a consistent problem - you've got a mistake in the .vm you have altered.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2012

I can't make out much of a pattern to be honest - most of the time, you need to restart. But not always. I just work on the assumption that as soon as I change something, what might happen is a grey area until I restart.

Phil Cole October 10, 2012

Thanks Nic. I'll take another look at the changes I made to the templates. I wasn't aware that a restart wasn't needed to pick up the changes, but I guess it is needed to guarantee that the changes are picked up when you expect them to be.

0 votes
Phil Cole November 4, 2012

It turns out that there was an error in a template... the difficult bit was identifying the template with the error.

Remembering that the email is built up of a subject and a body, checking the subject template, I found a missing "#end". With hindsight, unsurprisingly, this was after line 13 of that template file.

Suggest an answer