Email sent to email address field data

Lachlan Musicman September 12, 2017

One of our service desk requests has a field for an email address. This will be a third party - neither the request maker nor the request receiver.

When Create is pressed and an issue is created, we would like the email address that is in the email address field to be sent an email.

I can't see how or where to do this in any way?

We are using a self hosted JSD 3.3.2

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

JIRA won't be able to send email to just any email address.  JIRA is only expecting to be able to send notifications to users in JIRA that actually have an account in that JIRA instance.  That could be a service desk customer, a JIRA Software user, a JIRA core user, etc.

But since you're using a custom field to store these email addresses, there is no guarantee that the email address there will correspond to an existing user in JIRA.   So one way to get around this would be to create an account for each email address entered there.

Alternative to this, you might be interested in a 3rd party plugin that might be able to provide this functionality in JIRA such as the Email this Issue plugin.  I believe that plugin is able to send email notifications to any email address.

Lachlan Musicman September 13, 2017

Ah, ok. Thanks. I'll check the plugin

Suggest an answer