Email response to email notification sets me as a Watcher.

Jeff Jones May 14, 2015

On an issue I was not a watcher on, I got an email notification on a comment because the person that wrote the comment added my username (@name) to the comment text. 

I replied via email to the comment with my answers. JIRA made me a Watcher on the Issue after receiving my reply. I would like to disable that feature that auto-adds me as a Watcher just because I replied in this situation.

How do I do that if that is possible?

Thanks

Jeff

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2015

You can go into your user profile and disable auto watch there. Or do you want to disable it for all users by default?

Jeff Jones May 14, 2015

Thx Boris. I want to disable it for all users, by default. Is there a way to do that? 

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2015

JIRA Admin > User Preferences. You can change the default value, but not enforce that it remains in that state. The end user can over ride it.

Jeff Jones May 14, 2015

Thanks Boris. That's it!

Jeff Jones May 15, 2015

So, it seems that the "AutoWatch Own Issues" is the feature you are talking about. This is what makes someone a 'Watcher' if they simply reply to a Jira email??? What else am I disabling if I turn this off?

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2015

If you perform any action, on any ticket, this will add you as a watcher to it. Regardless of it being via email or not. Disabling this will disable it for all actions by all users in all tickets. Users will be able to change this value in their own personal profile if they don't like the default.

Suggest an answer