Email notifications sent to next subtask Assignee when the previous subtask is completed

Shaquanna Chappelle March 5, 2021

Hi there! Can someone let me know if this specific functionality is possible in JIRA?

For our user stories, we have subtasks for each phase of implementation:

• Analysis
  • Development
  • Create test scripts
  • Execute test scripts

Each subtask is assigned to a different team member and once one is done, it's now time for the next person to complete their task. Example: User A is done with Analysis, and now he/she will hand it over to Development for User B to complete.

Is there a way in JIRA for User B to be notified when User A marks their subtask as complete? That automatic email will let them know it's time for them to work on their task.

I know anyone can make themselves a watcher of a task and they'll be notified of any updates, but is there a way we can accomplish this without having to make sure users are added as watchers?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2021

you could maybe try automation for jira (if you link the issues)

I am not sure how to exactly use the branch issue in your case (normally subtask to parent and not subtask to subtask)

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

it subtask closed and summary ~ analysis

branch issue = linked issue

if summary ~ development

sent mail to assignee "start work"

Shaquanna Chappelle March 8, 2021

Thanks! I will definitely explore the automation route. And this automation template library or "playground" is accessible by all JIRA admins and can be added to our JIRA instance? I have to dig more into the details a little bit but I wanted to confirm if this is something we can use now, instead of adding it on to our account.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events