Email notifications not being delivered

Böðvar G. Jónsson January 21, 2015

Hey there fellow JIRA admins,

I've been having some problems with email notifications when external users (Outside of office) comment on issues.. The comment does get added to the Issue but for some reason the Assignee and Watchers do not get notified with email that the external user commented on the ticket. 

I've already used the Notification Helper which says:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event:Issue Commented

User: USERNAME

Project: PROJECTNAME

Scheme: Notification Scheme

Issue: ISSUE-XXXX

Status: USER receives notifications for the 'Issue Commented' event

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users get notified with email when someone inside the office comments on the issues. Meanwhile I've set up an Notification addon similiar to the Facebook notifier, that shows when Issues have been commented on, but I'd really like to get this up and running again.

2 answers

0 votes
Raj Kamal Sareen January 23, 2015

Hi Jamie,

I am facing a typical problem. I have workflow and I need to fire a custom email notification to the user to take the  next action based on recent change to the issue during the transition (i.e. some new custom fields get updated). I am able to successfully send an email, if don't include recent custom fields update in the transition but if I include custom field just updated before sending email, notification doesn't work.

Here is code snippet FYI. Below codes works fine even with custom fields as they have been part of initial issue creation but not during the transition. Can you please help with this? 

<html>
<table id="email-wrap" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" style="background-color:#f0f0f0;color:#000000;width:100%;">
<tr>
<td><font color="black" face="verdana">
Issue: http://goxsa2239:9091/browse/${issue.key}
</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left"><font color="black" face="verdana">
Hello <% out << issue.assignee?.displayName %>,
</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left">
<font color="black" face="verdana">
The <b> $issue.issueType.name $issue.key </b> with Priority:<b><% out << issue.priority?.name %> </b>and Status:<b><% out << issue.status?.name %> </b>has been assigned to you.
</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left"> <font color="black" face="verdana">
Issue Type: <% out << issue.issueTypeObject.name %>
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Issue Type: <% out << issue.status?.name %>
</font> </td>
</tr>
<tr>
Priority: <% out << issue.priority?.name %>
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Requesting Department:<% out << issue.getCustomFieldValue(componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Requesting Department")) %>
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Related Business Process: <% out << issue.getCustomFieldValue(componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Related Business Process")) %>
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Benefits of Enhancement: <% out << issue.getCustomFieldValue(componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Benefits of Enhancement")) %>
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Description: ${issue.description}
</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left">
The <b>Action Required: </b>
Business Service has approved Preliminary Financial Impact.
</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left">
<b>Please review the request and provide Property Accouting - Preliminary Financial Impact approval</b>

</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
Please click on the link to navigate to the issue: http://goxsa2239:9091/browse/${issue.key}
</font>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</html>

0 votes
Böðvar G. Jónsson January 22, 2015

I got a response from Atlassian Support which worked:

,,Based on your issue description, it appears to me that you may be affected by the following bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41226. Basically, this bug causes comments added via email to trigger a Issue Updated event rather than Issue Commented. So if your notification scheme is configured for Issue Commented, notifications wont be sent. Instead only users configured under issue updated would be notified." 

Chris H January 22, 2015

Hi Böðvar, I stumbled on your ticket/comment and am wondering if I am having the same issue. My issue seems to be that our QA team is using one group email address for Jira, which everyone gets emails forwarded to their own email accounts. It seems when one of them updates or adds a comment to a ticket, no email notification gets sent. They have already set email preferences, "my changes" -> "notify me". They are all included as watchers to all tickets, but still are not receiving email notifications when they make changes, comments or updates. Would this be related to your issue? I am the group's Jira admin, but relatively new at it, but am trying to learn all the ins and outs, so perhaps you can tell me the steps you took to solve your issue, or can point me to some resources to help me if my issue is different. Cheers, Chris,

Hi Chris, I'm not @ work right now so I can't guide you step by step through this, but in short I just changed the notification scheme for 'Issue Updated' and included the Assignee, Reporter & Watchers. That did fix my issue. If you need further assistance feel free to PM me with your contact info and I'll help you out.

Chris H January 22, 2015

Hi Böðvar, Thanks for the tip. I'll try that first. If it fails, then perhaps I'll reach out to you personally. I appreciate your support on the issues. Chris,

Hi again Chris, Follow these steps: 1. Login with admin account 2. Jira Administration > Projects > Select your project > Notifications > Actions > edit notifications > Add for 'Issue Updated' Current Assignee, Reporter and All Watchers. Hope it does the trick for you. Kind regards, Böðvar G. Jónsson

Chris H January 23, 2015

Thanks again Böðvar, I followed your steps, and I am just waiting to hear from the others if this fixed their issue. I believe the issue may be on their side, as it is many people using the same email address; therefore, could be a mailing list issue. I appreciate you support, Cheers, Chris,

Böðvar G. Jónsson January 23, 2015

Hi again, You can test this out since most projects share the same notification schema, I simply used my outside email and tested this out and confirmed that the bug had been fixed.

Suggest an answer