Email notifications are currently being sent out to JIRA Service Desk issue reporters even for "internal comments". How do we restrict this?

Kim June 14, 2016

Email notifications are currently being sent out to issue reporters even for "internal comments". How do we restrict this?

The weird thing about this error is that it seems like only one user is getting it. Please see attached screenshot. 

View Project Roles for User JIRA.png

2 answers

1 vote
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

Please navigate to the Project Administration -> Notification Scheme. Check the users tagged against the 'Issue Commented' event. Make changes in the user roles or users tagged for that event.

Kim June 15, 2016

Hi Mahesh, 

Our current notification scheme is set as follows. 

Project InsuredHQ Service Desk Notifications JIRA.png

So, I've already checked that. "Michelle" was only set as a Service Desk Customer so she only can view comments as an issue reporter. The thing I'd like to ask help is on is as to why she's getting notification emails on her inbox when an "internal comment" is posted on a ticket she reported. 

See screenshot: 

internalcomments.png

This is the internal comment I posted which Michelle received via email.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

I hope Michelle is the reporter of that issue. She being the reporter, she is getting notified for the Issue Commented event as described in the notification scheme. (Reporter is added against the Issue Commented event in the scheme.)

Kim June 15, 2016

Yes, Michelle is the issue reporter so it's correct that she's getting a notification but not when it's an internal comment. Internal comments should be restricted to agents and collaborators not issue reporters. That's why I'm reporting this issue and requesting assistance on a fix.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2016

You can remove Reporter from Issue comments events. You can also add the user groups of agents and collaborators if you have. Am I missing something?

Kim June 15, 2016

No, I don't want to do that. 

I'd still want the issue reporter to receive email notifications. But just not the "internal comments". I just want to know 1) how to restrict viewers of internal comments and 2) how to configure email notifications for internal comments.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2016

1) The comments can be restricted based on the user role level from the comment itself as shown in the screenshot inserted.

Untitled.jpg

2) You cannot configure the email notifications for the Issue Commented event alone, apart from setting the usernames and user roles in the notification scheme.

tash_macnica June 16, 2016

I'm a normal user of JIRA Service Desk (JSD), not responsible to answer this, but would like to help you.

At first, Mahesh, you don't understand this issue correctly.  Kimberly is asking about JSD but you answered it certainly basing JIRA Core or Software, not Service Desk.  In JSD, you could see the comment screen as below:

Comment_internally-JSD.PNG

Kimberly's saying 'internal comments' was created by clicking 'Comment internally' above.

Then, Kimberly, are you sure that Michelle was assigned as a simple 'SERVICE DESK CUSTOMERS' in the 'Users and roles' page of the JSD project like below?

Users_and_Roles-JSD.PNG

Hugues Blanc September 21, 2016

Hi, i'm experiencing the same issue on JSD and my user is properly assigned to the service desk customer role only. Did you find a workarround to prevent this ?

Thanks

Rodrigo Rafael November 8, 2016

Same happening here!

Jason Sanford November 17, 2016

And here! Is someone looking into this?

Jason Sanford November 17, 2016

figured it out (sort of):

Notification scheme doesn't care about the "Internal Comment" vs. Share with Customer. If you have reporter set to receive comments, they will - regardless of internal/external. You have to remove reporter from the notification scheme and then enable JIRA Service Desk Notifications from admin cog - applications - JIRA service desk configuration. 

what's hilarious about this is that the customer will then receive notifications that the issue was commented, but just won't get the comment. Haven't figured out how to suppress that yet.

Robert Mota November 18, 2016

Hi, what is the version of JSD you are using where internal comments are sent to reporter (as Service Desk Customer) ?

Amy Starbuck February 10, 2017

I have the same issue with Service Desk. When I enter a comment and click on the Comment Internally button it shows in the history tagged with both Reporter and Internal.

image2017-2-10 11:24:59.png

0 votes
Hugues Blanc November 17, 2016

Sorry I figured out the same thing as Jason a few days ago.

To be more precise, you really have to see JSD as an addon to JIRA Core. Both implementing notification "system". As JIRA Core Notification System allows you to configure who is notified about what, JSD only allows enabling or disabling notifications for Customer/Agent/Request participants involved in the issue.

So you have to put reporter, request participants or approvers  in JIRA Notification system only if really necessary. Proving that JSD is an addon to Jira, when you want to add recipients to notification event, you can see Approvers and Request participants in the User custom field value option, what are JSD fields...

Unfortunately, as said by Jason, JSD only notify that the issue has been modified / commented.

The ability to customise JSD notification is on the Atlassian roadmap. See JSD-4418

Suggest an answer