Email notification problem

Rumceisz January 23, 2013

Dear All,

I have a special problem regarding the email notifications.

Our service desk team wants a custom email notification: whenever they submit an issue, the requester (the user who told his/her problem via phone or email) gets a custom email.

The problem is that we have seen that almost nobody got these emails. I guess that the permission is behind the problem: if a user has no permission to the project, will not have email.

But, this is not a public project and the custom email also don't have hyperlinks, only a static text which says: "your problem is registered, please wait blabla..."

Is it necessary that the users (all employees - 2000 users) must have permissions to that project? How can we avoid this? The service desk team expressly ask that nobody can browse in their project.

Please help us!

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

Hi Rumi

Please find the steps below. This way only users can view a small sub-set of issues that they have raised. However, entire support staff can view all issues in the helpdesk project.

This is achieved by:

1. Create a group – Support Staff and add all Support staff in it.
2. Configure a custom field of type User Picker called "CC Users" and add this field to the Create and Edit screens. This will be for users who the issue reporter wishes to include in the ticket (this is optional).
3. Create an Issue Security Scheme and add a security level that allows only a group that represents your organization (Support Staff), the reporter, and the "CC Users Field".
4. Associate that Issue Security Scheme with the Helpdesk system project.
5. Set the default security level to this new security level so that all tickets are raised with this security model
6. Hide the field – Security Level from the screen so that no one can choose to select none in the security level

With this security model only users who feature in either of the three groups will be able to view the ticket.

Hope it helps..

Rahul

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

Can you explore the option of creating issues from emails? Since you are only interested in letting the requestors get an acknowledgement email, this solution should work for you.

Some details i copied from jira documentation, here's the link below

JIRA can be configured to automatically create issues or comments on existing issues based on incoming messages received by a mail server or external mail service.

This is especially useful in a helpdesk or support scenario, where users send support queries via email that you wish to track with JIRA. Subsequent email messages about the issue (for example, responses to Email Notifications) can be automatically recorded as comments. Additionally, any attachments in the emails can automatically be attached to the issue (with appropriate configuration).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Let me understand your requirement. Are you worried that if you grant browse project permission to all users then user A will be able to view User B's tickets which you do not want?

If yes, let me know and there's a way out for this via issue security scheme.

Rahul

Hi,

no the creating issues from email is not supported in our Jira instance hance we have 200 different projects beside the service desk project.

Is there a plugin for this maybe?

Or if I grant for the users browse permission but restrict all isues by an issue security scheme? So the main goal is to reach:

1. The users cannot browse the issues

2. The involved user gets an automatic notification when his/her claim were raised and again when his issue is resolved.

Thanks

Rumi

Hi Rahul,

yes you're right: this is the case here. Actually I am a Jira admin, and I am not much to do with the service desk project. But the service desk colleagues don't want that the users could browse in their issues because whenever they see which service desk guy is working on their issue they would disturb him/her on phone. So the users only get a custom email which tells them that your claim/request/incident is created...

The custom email is ready to use (I created) and I erased the reporter, commenter and assignee fields so the users can't see who's actually working on their claim.

You say, is there a way out?

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

You are correct, all users must have browse project permissions to the project to receive notification emails.

You can add a user-picker custom field and let the reporter (if he is receiving issue through phone) to select the reporter via this user-picker.

Then add this user-picker custom field and reporter as Browse project permissions for your project.

Rahul

Hi Rahul,

OK, this is what I have feared:((

The thing is that the service desk project team don't want to grant browse permissions to the employees. They only need to send an automated email whenever an issue is raised. Is there a workaround for this?

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

To clarify, the default JIRA instance will require browse permissions (and full JIRA users). But, non-jira user support means that remote users do not need an account at all in order to receive updates by email.

JEMH is a commercial mail handler plugin that provides this support, allowing clear separation of JIRA users and remote email users, whilst allowing those remote users to be given some feedback direct from JIRA without manual intervention. JEMH could just mail a simple issue created notification back to the sender with no further notifications, its up to you. Happy ot chat more about if you think it may help.

Suggest an answer