Email notification on issue creation for Reporter?

Olivier Gwynn April 24, 2013

Hi,

Most of our users create JIRA issues via email and we'd like them to receive an email notification when the ticket is created in JIRA (with the ticket number, etc.). This is order to be able to add content later.

How can we do this with JIRA OnDemand?

I tried by adding the Issue Created event in the notification scheme for the reporter but it doesn't seem to work (as auto-notifications are disabled).

I believe we can't use built-in scripts with OnDemand.

Thanks in advance for the help provided.

Olivier

5 answers

1 vote
Curiosity June 3, 2013

'Reporter' included in notifications on issue created, changed settings to 'notify me of my changes' . Tested it by sending a new email ISSUE (from outlook) to jira ,but still I didn't recieve any confirmation email in return.

Is there no other way to make it done?. Other configurations may have missed ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2013

That setup works fine on all the Jira systems I've used recently, as I said on your original question about this.

You'll need to start full debugging - look at logging outgoing mail to see what it's trying to send.

One other nagging doubt as well - your email handler might be binning the emails, have you got "notify users" set in it (if it's one of the standard ones that has that option)

William Rojas (Black Diamond) August 5, 2014

quick clarification,

the 'notify users' option in the email handler refers to whether to notifiy or not any NEW users that may need to be created automatically, IF a submission is received from an email that is not recognized by the system, AND the handler has the 'Create Users' option enabled.

it is not related to the notification of the Reporter on the new submission, that is managed by the Notification Scheme in place for the project receiving the created issue.

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2013

Hi Olivier,

I think the correct way to approach this is to enable the 'My Changes' setting to 'Notify Me' and then review the Notification Scheme in use by your project.

By default you will have it set to 'All Watchers', 'Reporter' & 'Assignee' for all events. These are only the default settings and can be customised for the results you prefer. For example, maybe 'All Watchers' is only necessary when 'Issue Update' occurs and could be removed from other events. The notification customisation is flexible to allow you to choose when and who receive these alerts.

Cheers,

Paul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2013

If you include "reporter" in the notification scheme on the "issue created" line, then Jira sends the reporter an email when they create the issue (including the issue ID and some detail).

It removes the reporter from the list of recipients if they have the "do not email me on changes I have just made" flag set on their account.

1 vote
Curiosity June 3, 2013

Hi zezeto, I think his problem is similar to mine so I'll state an example for you.

1. I create an Issue in jira

2. The issue is created via email (ex address : me@company.com)

3. When jira received my message (which in this case the issue), I expect jira to send me back an information containing: acknowlegement message to the issue i've created, issue number.

Hope this is clear

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

Thanks for the input.

I tried adding a custom event for the issue creation. The problem stays the same, notification is not sent when user's profile preferences "MY changes" is set to "Do not notify me".

And if we have to set this, then all changes wil be sent too...

Like Peter Clark likes this

Thanks for the input.

I tried adding a custom event for the issue creation. The problem stays the same, notification is not sent when user's profile preferences "MY changes" is set to "Do not notify me".

And if we have to set this, then all changes wil be sent too...

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

Hi

Can you explain with more detail examlpe?

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2013

Hi,

add it in the post function

Hi,

What is the post function?

Suggest an answer