Email notification list of recipients

Alon Erez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi,

When I get an email notification the 'To' field only shows my name. Even if this notification was sent to other users as well. How can I config Jira to show the names of all the people that recieved this email ?

Thanks,

Alon

3 answers

0 votes
eric engel March 9, 2017

I would also like to see this feature.  At my company we use 'reply to all' for everything, and there are no privacy concerns.  It would be very helpful to know who is receiving JIRA emails so that we don't have to wonder whether certain people are in the loop.  We were able to see this with our previous systems (ClearQuest, RTC) but it is unavailable w/ Jira

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

The only answer I can find on this topic is you need to modify the source code. I did not see a vecolcity variable for all the recipients. The de-duping of email addresses is usually done by the mail service since it has the information about mail groups.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/39886/how-to-send-mail-to-all-recipients-in-a-same-mail-on-jira-issue-create-update-comment

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2013

JIRA sends out the notification messages to each email address separately. As such, I do not think you can configure JIRA to display within the email itself to which people this notification has been sent out. What is the reason behind wanting to add this information? Perhaps there is an alternative way to accomplish this.

Alon Erez
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Thanks for your answer.

The reason is that when users receive the email they have no way of knowing who received the notification too. If all the recipients appears in the 'To' field then you can easily know to whom this notification was sent.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

But you realize that this may be a very nasty thing ... some people will want to preserve privacy in some cases ... you have for instance two customers watching an issue, you do not want them to know each other.

For instance JJupin is able to send emails to multiple recipients, but we advertise caution in doing this ....

Kyle Mitofsky October 2, 2015

It *could* be nasty, but in our case we use JIRA only for internal development. We'll notify all of the team leads of new issues, but when people see themselves as the only one on the email, it makes them think it's assigned to them, rather than a distribution list.

Carol Jones November 2, 2015

My company is also hoping to be able to do this as our projects are internal as well. If there's a concern, maybe it could be a configuration either at the global or project levels so it can at least be an option.

Andy Zhou June 15, 2016

Plus, knowing who is(are) also receive the notification I receive can help a great deal to diagnose the notification scheme that may be misconfigured before user complains flood in.

Will Lauer May 24, 2018

This would be helpful at my company also

Suggest an answer