Email creates Issues

David Lemon May 29, 2013

hello folks,

which event gets called when the incomming Email Service creates the issue.
can we detect that the created issue is created from which email service?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

hi sohil..

if you plan to re-invent the wheel just take a look at this tutorial :)

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Plugin+Tutorial+-+Writing+a+Custom+Message+%28Mail%29+Handler+for+JIRA

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

can we detect that the created issue is created from which email service?

you could add specific labels (jemh offers sth like this)

David Lemon May 29, 2013

Yes let first hands on the above plugin tutorial.

"you could add specific labels (jemh offers sth like this)"

do you mean to detect the text in the email . thats seems to me manually done by each email sender?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

in jemh you set up profiles and add several settings to them.

one of them is to add a specific label to the issue that gets created from an assigned email address (to the profile: per-project mapping or globally in the issue section)

one profile can hold several per-project mappings so every emailaddress that is mapped to it can be specified with a different value for the "Lable" field upon issue creation. but this is one giant of a plugin (extensions and configuration possibilities) so it may offers way to much than what you actually need only.

David Lemon May 29, 2013

So i need to purchase JHEM plugin first ?
Is it not possible with any of the atlassian tools?

can we do something with atlassian tools that dont let me purchase the JHEM?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

maybe something like this:

check this page > https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

repeat this for each project (one email address for each)

once you're done i guess with sth like "script runner" you can perform condition checks and update matching issues.

i might be wrong (we use JEMH to handle email processing so i never thought about alternatives) but i think this could work

MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2013

In addition to the last comment, if the mail server you are using supports IMAP, you do not require to set up separate email addresses for each individual handler. please have a look at this article. It has initially been written with Gmail as mail server in mind, but it should work for any IMAP supporting mail server.

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2013

The event for these issues is the normal "Issue Create" event. Out of the box, there is no direct way to determine if the issue had been created through mail or from the instance itself. Depending on your needs, you could consider setting the default reporter of mail handler to a specific user through which you can determine the source of the issue.

David Lemon May 29, 2013

can we write a custom event which fires on the issue create event from the email service?

i have couple of more question about the same topic. let me ask it one by one in the same thread. :)

David Lemon May 29, 2013

Please Mick put some reply on my comment

Suggest an answer