Email configuration

mnpiad February 24, 2014

I have an license for jira [latest version] cloud for testing scenarios

We have our own mailserver and i would like to test the mail handler for automatic ticket creation

i have created an account "jiratest" for testing and if i send an email to this account i can see the mail gets delivered to this mailbox.

I am trying to configure the mailhandler

incomming mail--->POP/IMAP mail servers --->Add pop imap mail server

i get the below error

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SocketException: SOCKS server general failure

I doono what does this means ? any idea ? is it that as it is hosted on cloud it is not able to connect to our local mailserver ?

We had earlier installed the jira with temp 30 days license on one of the local server and there the connection was successfull

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2014

SOCKS is a proxy server - somewhere between your mail server and the Jira server. Jira needs credentials to give to the proxy server because it is trying to log into one of your servers and the proxy is stopping it.

You'll need to talk to your network admins to find out the settings you need to get past the proxy. Note that SOCKS general errors can be reported if the proxy is set up to simply drop all connections on that port/host/whatever.

Although, you've said "cloud", so I have no idea where you are running Jira or if you'll actually have the access you need to configure the server to get past the proxy. Or if the proxy is actually on the "cloud" end.

0 votes
Sushmitha Rai November 19, 2015

Hi mehul, can you tell me how this issue was fixed??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2015

They got an account on the proxy server.

Suggest an answer