Email aliases not working from JIRA email handler

Dina Barnese April 9, 2013

I am testing JIRA email handling functionality via Mail Handlers and have run into a problem.

I have two email aliases:

marketingdemo2@nau.edu
marketingdemo3@nau.edu

These both go to the mailbox "Marketing Demo" which has the address of marketingdemo@nau.edu.

Yesterday I set up two email handlers. Each catches one of the above aliases and delivers the email to its linked project as a new issue or comment to an existing issue. I tested it after setting it up and it worked - emails were filtering to the appropriate projects as expected.

Today, the handlers will not pull mail out of the inbox. When I test the handlers, they pass but "More Details" tells me the following:

Found 2 message(s) in the pop3s folder.

Cannot handle message as the recipient(s) ( MarketingDemo@nau.edu ) do not match the catch email marketingdemo2@nau.edu

Cannot handle message as the recipient(s) ( MarketingDemo@nau.edu ) do not match the catch email marketingdemo2@nau.edu

However when I look at the email header, I see the following:

To: Marketing Demo <marketingdemo2@nau.edu>
Subject: Testing again
Thread-Topic: Testing again

Can anybody shed some light on what I'm doing wrong here? For some reason it seems to be reading the main address rather than the alias, even though the alias is clearly the recipient in the header. We are running on Exchange 2010 SP2.

Thanks!
Dina

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dina Barnese May 27, 2013

No resolution as of yet. At the moment I am using separate email accounts rather than aliases, which works for an interim solution but we do need to look further into how our Exchange server is configuring the header. Unfortunately the admins haven't had time to look into the issue.

For now I'll go ahead and close the question. Will re-open in future if needed.

0 votes
Buelent Caliskan June 19, 2015

The last time i configured email aliases, was in Oct/2010 (JIRA 4.x i think). And it worked (!!), if you wrote catchemail='email-alias-1@domain.tld'

Now, in JIRA 6.3.x, JIRA did not accept this trick, Repsonse is: invalid address format in handler configuration 

I updated the propertystring table in mysql database:

Update propertystring set propertyvalue='project=projectname,issuetype=9,reporteruserkey=username,catchemail=\'email-alias-1@domain.tld\',bulk=ignore,createusers=false,notifyusers=false,ccwatcher=false,ccassignee=false,stripquotes=false' where ID=78792;

It was correct inserted in the database, but i got this Exception:

javax.mail.internet.AddressException: Domain contains illegal character in string ``'email-alias-1@domain.tld''''

0 votes
Stephen Finney March 10, 2015

I would love to have a solution for this issue also.

0 votes
Alexander Fedtke January 28, 2015

Any news on this problem?

0 votes
Chris Knight November 3, 2014

This is an old thread, but I worked around this by using Distribution Groups. Set the distro to have the SMTP address you want JIRA to check and set the mailbox JIRA is checking as the only member. Mail makes it to JIRA, only one mailbox to check, and the To: address is the primary SMTP address of the distro so the catch email functionality works!

0 votes
Ayelet (888) January 22, 2014

Hi

Since the above doesn't work for me either, I created a rule that movea emails sent to the second alias (for example marketingdemo2@nau.edu) to a different folder in the same mailbox.

In the mail handler I set the Folder Name to the folder I created.

Note to create the folder as a folder in the mailbox and not as a subfolder under the inbox.

This solved the problem of the alias.

Hope this helps you guys.

Hailin Zhang September 1, 2014

Thanks Ayelet, your workaround works for me.

One thing to be noticed when creating outlook rule, the secondary email should be put into "with specific words in the message header"

0 votes
adiedler January 8, 2014

Hello Dina,
I get exact the same problem that you got in the past. We migrate to Office365, I create a support mailbox with several customer aliases. The first day and for testing each mail alias everything work great, after a few days the same issue as you got. Do you have any solution for that problem found?

0 votes
Dina Barnese May 19, 2013

No resolution as of yet. At the moment I am using separate email accounts rather than aliases, which works for an interim solution but we do need to look further into how our Exchange server is configuring the header. Unfortunately the admins haven't had time to look into the issue.

For now I'll go ahead and close the question. Will re-open in future if needed.

julius mugabe January 2, 2014

I have run into this issue several times. Any resolution as yet?

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

If you have two mail handlers, the message you see will come from the handler that isnt configured for that address. If you turn on inbound mail debugging you should see some reference to the configured handler in the log message.

Shouldn't the handlers still be pulling the mail they're configured to pull based off the aliases? That's not happening. Nothing is being pulled from the inbox. It seems to me that the handler is looking in the wrong place in the header - it's not seeing the alias at all but rather the main email address.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

Without seeing the content of the related emails its hard to say, surely its not a case sensitivity problem (should be easy to check).

Perhaps the right question to ask is this - exactly what information is the email handler looking at when it is configured with a catch address?

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

It checks all recipients addresses, as you'd expect, so it depends on what the mail server did with the 'alias'...

Dina Barnese April 14, 2013

We turned on debugging and I have the log now. I need to work with my JIRA and Exchange administrators to find out what's going on. I'd like to keep this question open until then. We meet on Thursday.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2013

any resolution?

Suggest an answer