Email Notification isn't working

Kathleen Jacobs April 5, 2013

I set up a custom Notification Scheme where Project Role: Developers and PM get emails for:

Issue Created, Issue Updated, Issue Resolved, Issue Commented, Issue Closed, and Issue Reopened.

I have Issue Security on tickets by groups under Developers. So under Developers I have groups A, B, and C that go with issue Security A,B, and C.

So Expected: If I create a ticket and set Issue Security A. Then change the status, set the resolution, and the close the ticket then group A should get emails for Issue Created, Issue Updated, Issue closed, and issue Resolved, while groups B and C should not.

What happened: Group A only got Issue Created email. No other email.

Am i forggeting something?

13 answers

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2013

Notification troubleshooting is particularly tricky to debug, it can be a lot of things. We have a knowledge base article.

I think you already checked these:

• Check if the My Changes option in the user's profile is Notify Me. The default value for this property for all users can also be set under Administration > User Defaults
  • Check the project permissions under the project's permission scheme. Users must have Browse Project permission for the project to which the issue belongs. If you're using Issue Security Levels, ensure they are members of any Issue security levels that have been applied to the issue.

But what about these:

• Notifications are triggered in a transition by the its post-function.
    • Inspect the post-function of the transition step you're investigating and ensure it's firing an event.
    • Ensure the notification scheme you just checked is actually assigned to your project.

Check out your post-functions. That might make sense for the issue updated. Otherwise, make sure all your schemes are correctly associated to your project.

That page is designed for behind the firewall, but it's our best attempt at a comprehensive way to troubleshoot notifications.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2013

You also try to run "Notification Helper".

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2013

You also try to run "Notification Helper".

0 votes

It's not me, it's the entire group A. Only seeing an issue getting created email. nothing else

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

>> I'm in the PM project Role, which is included in the Issue Security of group A, B, and C. I'll look into the mail logging

If you are testing as reporter and PM user with the same username: Do you have set "Do not notify me" in user Preferences in User Profile and this is the reason that you don't get mail?

0 votes

Don't think I can do the loggin with OnDemand

0 votes

I'm in the PM project Role, which is included in the Issue Security of group A, B, and C. I'll look into the mail logging

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

You can also try to set Mail logging in Logging & Profiling (Outgoing Mail information is sent to 'atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log'.)

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

Are you the reporter and the tester from group A? Or you test process with different usernames?

0 votes

I looked and it's empty. it doesn't look like it's trying to send them.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

That's ok. You can try to look in mail Queue immediately after change to be sure that it is empty.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

What do you have in Browse Projects permission in Permission Scheme?

BR, Florjan

0 votes

PMs and Devs both have that permission.

Suggest an answer