Email Notification depending on Issue Priority?

Olivier Gwynn January 14, 2013

Hi,

we just suscribed to JIRA onDemand and are wondering if it is possible to get notified (email notifications) only for HIGH priority tickets?

Which would mean normal tickets (medium or low priority) would not trigger an email notification but high priority would.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Olivier

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Hi

We do not currently have this feature on Jira.

This is however a very old feature request logged with Jira. Pls see link below.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2115

There is however a workaround suggested by Atlassian (Christina bang,20/Apr/11):

1. Create JQL query

priority in (Critical, Major) AND created >= -1h

Save that as a filter, then subscribe to it and have it run every hour.

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

You are most welcome.

If the response was useful, please consider accepting the answer.

Rahul

Olivier Gwynn January 14, 2013

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I really like the proposal of creating a specific filter with all HIGH priority issues and then subscribing to it with notifications every 15 minutes!

Best,

Olivier

Stephen Rogers February 10, 2014

A client of mine needs this feature, which is a great way to throttle email notifications. Are there any other workarounds that would allow the email subscription to be suppressed if there are no search results?

This is what we really need - email notifications that can be targeted only to specific conditions being met. The problem is either too much or not enough email the way things are.

3 votes
Deleted user May 16, 2013

You can do this with a "script listener".

1 - You select the event (Issue Created)

2 - Select the project to monitor

3 - Use the condition field to evaluate priority. In the case below, I check for either Blocker or Critical.

(issue.priority?.name == 'Blocker' || issue.priority?.name == 'Critical')

4 - Configure your email. You can use syntax to plug in information from the issue. For a very simple email, you can do the following:

Email Template: $issue.summary

Subject Template: $issue.issueType.name - $issue.priority.name $issue has been created.

Then, put in your "to" email addresses and the other fields you are interested in sending.

You can also get far more complex with your emails body and use HTML - be sure to select HTML as the email format. For example, plug the following into your email tempate:

<font face="calibri, arial"> 
Incident Priority: $issue.priority.name<br><br>

Incident Type: $issue.issueType.name <br><br>

Reported by: $issue.reporter.name<br><br>

Link to Incident: <a href="http://jira.texturallc.net/browse/$issue">$issue</a><br><br>

Issue Summary: $issue.summary<br><br>

Issue Description:<br>
$issue.description
</font>

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

I don't think you can do that in onDemand only your own install

C. Faysal February 27, 2014

this works like a charm for OnPrem installations.

David Chou January 21, 2016

Thanks, this was super helpful.  I wanted to contribute some info.  I needed to use custom fields to my Condition and also to the Subject Template.

Below is the syntax I used for a custom field named "Color" (example) and values 'Red' or 'Green' here is the example:

(cfValues['Color'].getValue() == 'Red' || cfValues['Color'].getValue() == 'Green')

and to use the "Color" custom field, I used this syntax for the Subject Template

[$issue](Color: <% out <<  issue.getCustomFieldValue(componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Color")) %>) $issue.summary
David Redwine (US - ADVS) June 21, 2018

The code presented looks very valuable to someone who has already ramped up on Jira development.   The undocumented coding setup steps like "1.  select the event", and "2. select the project to monitor" that are missing prevent the casual user from implementing.  Does anyone have a "complete" example that they would share, and or a more detailed and complete procedure?  For example, how much of this procedure is done in the GUI, and how much of it is located in edited files in the jira installation directory, and/or cron?  I.E.  can someone contribute a writeup of how to do this if the admin is not an experienced Jira developer or Jira coder?

Like Gavin Joye likes this
0 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

We have developed an AddOn where you can customize JIRA Cloud notifications the way you like it.

Specify JQL = severity in (Critical, major) and project = YOURPROJECT. You can also use any kind of JQL and custom Handlebars based template for refining your notification further on. Then choose the channel "EMAIL" and that's it!

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.vacom.jirassimo.

Best,

Vladimir

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

Hi Olivier,

I'm sorry to say that it isn't currently possible to filter email notifications by priority in JIRA, only by Project, so the only option I can think of to implement a solution such as this would be to separate the High priority tickets into a different project from the Medium and Low priority tickets as you could then turn off notifications for the Medium/Low priority tickets and implement a filter that way.

However, we do have an open feature request to ask that this functionality is added to a future release of JIRA and therefore I would recommend that you watch/vote/comment on that ticket to encourgae our developers to prioritise its implementation: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12544

All the best,
John

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

Hi John

Are you sure that it is the right link? I just checked and it points me to Notification scheme by issue type and not priority...

Rahul

Suggest an answer