Email From is not working in JIRA while sending notifications

Rahul Arora August 11, 2015

Email from eneral setting in JIRA system configuration stopped working when I tried to send test email from Configured SMTP server

3 answers

1 vote
Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2015

Hi Rahul,

I got that same message.  The problem was on the exchange side.  Exchange would not let me send as user JIRA from my personal account, even though I was able to log in with my account.  So we had to create a user that matched the "Email from" exactly.    So we created a user in exchange  jira@<company>.com and it started to work.

Best,

Robert

0 votes
arorarahul August 12, 2015

@Robert Nadon  I am not sure what you are saying applicable at my end but I have added more details here which can help to understand my problem which wasn't existing before but started suddenly.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]  

MYJIRA was just an example, I am attaching three screenshots here which shows how the "email From" address looks like before and what is coming right now. Configuration on general setting wasn't changed.

My issue here is why the email address behavior changed When email from setting is present on the JIRA system settings. Exchange server is just medium to send the notification email but the template or customized text should be invoked from the JIRA instance.

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2015

From reading your comments, When I change the from id I do not get: MYJIRA [jira@atlassian.com] I get myjira [ mylira@atlassian.com ] Just my two cents I am no where near the expert Nic is, just giving my two cents.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

Ok, two more questions... Are these mails from a project with a different email sender? Have you turned off "can browse user" in global permissions?

No, it is from same email sender and no changes made to global permissions at all. Browse user is still turned on. Only I tried sending test email from SMTP set email account which is nothing but "CommunityAdmins" which I mentioned in the screenhshot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

Well, the Test emails don't use the prefixes

ok I understand, but why the notification from the JIRA issues are coming without prefix as I attached. That are the emails from the JIRA tickets

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

What does the log say?

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
;
nested exception is:
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSenderFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:213)
at com.atlassian.mail.queue.SingleMailQueueItem.send(SingleMailQueueItem.java:44)
at com.atlassian.mail.queue.MailQueueImpl.sendBuffer(MailQueueImpl.java:66)
at com.atlassian.jira.mail.JiraMailQueue$1.apply(JiraMailQueue.java:57)
at com.atlassian.jira.mail.JiraMailQueue$1.apply(JiraMailQueue.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.velocity.DefaultVelocityRequestContextFactory.runWithStaticBaseUrl(DefaultVelocityRequestContextFactory.java:127)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.DefaultBaseUrl.runWithStaticBaseUrl(DefaultBaseUrl.java:41)
at com.atlassian.jira.mail.JiraMailQueue.sendBuffer(JiraMailQueue.java:52)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService.run(MailQueueService.java:28)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:66)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.runService(ServiceRunner.java:75)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.runServiceId(ServiceRunner.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.runJob(ServiceRunner.java:36)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:135)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:101)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:80)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.quartz1.Quartz1Job.execute(Quartz1Job.java:32)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:223)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:549)
Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
;

Like Oleg Dronenko likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

Well, there's the answer - the user you have set up for sending the email from JIRA does not have the right to send the emails. The account needs adjusting on the mail server.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] So these were the last errors when test emails were not shooting out. So I made the change for the user which have rights. Emails start going out but {Email from} is not coming in the notifications though there was no change made in it

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

OK. I'm still a bit lost on what you mean by "email from is not coming"

arorarahul August 11, 2015

ok, I have set value in the system ->general settings-> Email From This should act as header to the email. Like if Email ID: jira@atlassian.com and I have set Email from : MYJIRA Email should come as MYJIRA [jira@atlassian.com] where MYJIRA acts as header to the email

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

Ok, I think I understand what "come as" means - it should be the *subject* of the email. The question now is that if you've set it to MYJIRA, what are you actually getting?

I am just getting an email Address and header as not part of the Address.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] I have attached screenshot, the red marked part of an email is missing even though it is configured on the JIRA instance.In fact, I didn't touch that configuration

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

You mean you are not seeing "MYJIRA" in the subject? ( I'm not understanding "and header as not part of the address")

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2015

Ok, but what have you got set? Is it really just MYJIRA? And what are you getting? (not an email from answers, you need to look at an email your system sends)

Suggest an answer