Electronic signature on transitions in jira cloud

Dora Lukin July 12, 2021

Hi, all,

does anyone know of a solution that could allow us to have electronic signatures applied during a transition?

There are plugins that do this in Server, but I have not found one for Cloud.

I am hoping I am missing something, because it seems a lot less practical to apply a signature on a state, than on a transition, so I'm not sure why this would not be an option in any of the plugins.

We are currently using the Digital rose plugin, but the process of applying the signature on a state, and only then executing the transition is so unintuitive. 

I'm reaching, but perhaps someone found a good solution for this?

thank you

Dora

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris C _ Digital Rose July 12, 2021

Hi Dora,

@marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- is correct.   The Jira Cloud environment and API's are more restrictive than Jira Server in what parts of the Jira workflow apps can hook into.

For our eSign app that means we can not interact directly with the transition views within Jira cloud.    Instead users have to execute 1 or more signatures pre-transition, and then make the transition.   Many of our customers require multiple people to approve so an in-transition option would likely not be feasible for them.   eSign does offer a validator that you can add to the Jira workflow to ensure signatures are captured before the transition.   (ie.  Basically it is a rule that blocks the transition and warns the user if there are still outstanding signatures)

If and when Atlassian expands the Cloud API to allow Apps to work within transitions,  we are prepared to add this to eSign.

Let us know if you have any questions

Regards,

Chris

Chris @ Digital Rose
eSign for Jira, eSign for Confluence 

PS.  It may not directly help your use case, but we have just released Bulk Invite support for eSign and have Bulk Execute in development.  This is a way to improve user efficiency by inviting/signing many Jira issues at once. See eSign Recent Changes 

Dora Lukin July 12, 2021

Thank you for the explanation, Chris.

I do understand the advantages of signing on the state for multiple approvers.

In our case it's just a lot more practical to sign the issue on the transition screen, especially for issue types that have a lot of mandatory fields on the transition screen, so users will populate all of them only to then get the validator message, because they always forget on which states they need to sign.

I guess they will get used to it eventually, but I'm also hoping the functionality may in time be available on cloud :)

BR

Dora

Like Anne Mari Nedevska likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Hi @Dora Lukin ,

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by a transition?

Dora Lukin July 12, 2021

hi, yes, I mean, I would love to execute the signature (insert credentials) on the transition screen

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Ok. If I understand this correctly, this is not supported in Jira.  I believe apps can not directly hook into this screen.

Dora Lukin July 12, 2021

Is this inability somehow related to Cloud specifics?

On server there is this option (I guess it's a custom field that is added to the transition screen)

Es on serveer.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events