Editing the Initiative -> Child Epic issue link in JIRA

Dan Casados January 21, 2019

I've seen a few youtube tutorials and articles on how to do this in the old version of Portfolio. But I need help connecting a certain epics and stories into one initiative. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2019

Hi Daniel,

To add an issue to an initiative, select the Epic in the Scope panel to expand the issue details and select an initiative in drop down under the "Parent" section.

To move an epic to a new parent initiative, switch the value to the other initiative in the same location.  Remember to calculate and commit the changes to finalize the association.

Regards,
Earl

Dan Casados January 23, 2019

Thank you Earl!!!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
aworden July 7, 2021

You lost me in the first sentence. Can you provide some screenshots please? Which screen are you on? 

Why isn't there a "+" to add an Epic on the Initiative page where it says "Child issues"? This seems like a very obvious missing feature. 

Like # people like this
Frank Epstein July 12, 2021

Agree with aworden.  None of these features appear to be available in my JIRA

Frank Epstein July 12, 2021

I found I am able to do this by using Bulk Change Tool, ->select the Issue I want edit, -> Edit the selected issue -> and select the Initiative in the Change Parent Link drop down field.

I believe your admin can add the field "Parent Link" (type = Parent Link) to your Create / Edit / View screens so you can get to this without going through Bulk Change process.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer