Editing "Original Estimate" field, post work log

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

Hello gang...I use time tracking with legacy mode 'on' so I can enforce preservation of the "Original Estimate" once a work log entry is logged to an issue. This is a great feature since only the "Time Remaining" can be altered from that point forward. At closing the issue, I prevent the transition if there is no original estimate.

However, my devs sometimes forget to supply the "Original Estimate" before starting the work. Days go by with several work logs now stacked up on that issue. The dev then goes to close the issue and finds it's blocked because of the empty "Original Estimate". The only workaround I have is to help him/her delete all of the work logs against that issue, which exposes the "Original Estimate" field, supply the estimate number, and then add + back date onto the issue all of the removed work logs.

I have no means on the bulk edit to edit the "Original Estimate". How do you admins out there who use my approach deal with this problem? Yes, most people know how to work within this constraint, but at least 3x/week, I have to deal with this for someone.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

Hi @Paul, as I see you are using the On Demand version so I'm not sure there's a better workaround for this.

In the Standalone version a possible solution would be to modify the database registry.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

I see, Ramiro. Thanks.

Gabriel Almeida April 23, 2014

Hi Ramiro, can you please tell me which table contains this information? I have edited it jiraissue table column TimeOriginalEstimate but I do not see the change applied to my velocity chart report. Can you please confirm the version report is reading this information from this table? thanks

0 votes
Kimberley Hansen January 16, 2014

Hey guys...I do NOT use legacy mode, but would like to change time estimates...is there any way to do this in bulk? I've got 200+ issues I'd like to add time estimates to :(

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

Are you an On Demand subscriber, Kimberly? If so, there is no way within the UI to do so as Ramiro points out above. I suppose you could inquire with Atlassian to see if they would be willing to do so for you on the back end, provided you supply a mapping for them with desired values. Worth an 'ask', I guess;).

Suggest an answer