Editing permissions - what am I missing?

Paxter October 24, 2016

I'm trialling the JIRA software, and having immense difficulty doing some very basic things.

For example, editing a project's permissions scheme, I can find no way of editing multiple fields.  To change each single field consists of:

1. click edit
  2. click show more
  3. choose single user
  4. click in the box
  5. type a name
  6. select from the list
  7. click grant

And this is just to add one single user. A second user doubles this, or requires me to create a user group simply to allow me to choose these 2 people together.

Just for the Issues Permissions alone, I have to manually go in to 13 different items like this and change them one by one. 

And there are 37 seperate items on the page, some of which I want to grant more than a single permission. An insane amount of time and effort.

Surely there must be a checkbox or shortcut to select multiple items?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

Use roles.

Create  a set of logical roles to use globally.  Developer, Test, User, Admin, etc.

In the permission scheme, grant permissions to the right roles (e.g. create and browse for all roles, assign to dev, test and admin, and so-on).  When adding a permission, you will have to do it one role at a time, but you can ctrl-click to select several permissions at a time.

Then in the projects, just put people into the right roles.

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2016

Please follow in this manner.

• Add users to JIRA user management and add to groups.
  • Create roles in Administration->System->Security->Project roles like developers, testers, so on.
  • After creating projects go to users and roles. Add the users into required roles. You can add groups also into roles.
  • Then, go to the Permission Scheme and Create/Copy a permission scheme. Add users in the form of Roles with the permissions.

Paxter October 24, 2016

Thanks, Mahesh. 

That makes the order of the workflow very clear and systematic.  Very helpful for me as a beginner user.

But it still seems as if there is no shortcut to the simple allocation of all permissions.

For example if there are 4 designers, but I only want 3 working on any given project, I have to do the following:

• Create a role “designer” and add 4 users (user1, user2, user3, user4)
  • Create a group “designers a” and allocate user2, user3, user4
  • Create a group “designers b” and allocate user1, user3, user4
  • Create a group “designers c” and allocate user1, user2, user4
  • Create a group “designers d” and allocate user1, user2, user3

And then if I have 4 projects (project A, project B, project C, project D)

• In project A’s permissions, I have to grant “designers a” individually to every one of the 37 items.
  • In project B’s permissions, I have to grant “designers b” individually to every one of the 37 items.
  • In project C’s permissions, I have to grant “designers c” individually to every one of the 37 items.
  • In project D’s permissions, I have to grant “designers d” individually to every one of the 37 items.

(There is no point to copy a permissions scheme because each project uses a different combination of designers)

This would not be a problem if I could select multiple items to edit simultaneously.

For example in project A, is there no way to simply grant every permission to the group “designers a”? 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

if there are 4 designers, but I only want 3 working on any given project, You have to do the following,

• Create the role “designer”, "users" (these set of users can be your entire team, whether they works on issues or not.)
  • Add all the users to the role "users".
  • Either Add the users designers a, designers b, designers c to the role "designer" directly (suggested when you have less number of users.) OR
  • Add the users designers a, designers b, designers c to a group and add the group to the role "designer".
  • In project A’s permissions, add the role "designers" to most of the permissions as needed (may not be all)
  • In project A’s permissions, add the users to very few permissions like Browse Issue Permission.

Now, instead of repeating the same,

• Copy the permission scheme of project A and name as project B.
  • The changes may not be needed in the permission scheme normally. Do a few if needed.
  • Go to the User and roles of Project B and do the necessary changes in users in roles directly or users in the group.
  • Copy and repeat the same for other projects. Sometimes, if planned properly, you can use the permission scheme for all projects.

Suggest an answer