• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Editing jpm.xml works, but creating jira-config.properties and overriding defaults there does not have any impact. Since which version of JIRA this should work? We are having v6.1.7.

Editing jpm.xml works, but creating jira-config.properties and overriding defaults there does not have any impact. Since which version of JIRA this should work? We are having v6.1.7.

tomc July 25, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to edit the jira-config.properties file

Editing jpm.xml works, but creating jira-config.properties and overriding defaults there does not have any impact. Since which version of JIRA this should work? We are having v6.1.7.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2016

It is available from JIRA 4.4 onwards. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Advanced+JIRA+Configuration

But anyway did you restart the application after changes.

tomc July 26, 2016

Yes I did restart the JIRA with:

service JIRA stop
service JIRA start

Changes at jpm.xml are impacting JIRA after restart, while changes at jira-config.properties are not affecting anything.

I also verified that read/write access is same in both files and that .properties file is in unix format.The content of the jira-config.properties look like this:

"

# This overrides the values from jpm.xls
# Modifications here need JIRA restart
# Making custom release notes for our internal purposes, that's why editing these properties
# Adding one new releasenotetemplate to list

jira.releasenotes.templatenames = Html, Text, Custom-Text
jira.releasenotes.templates=releasenotes-html.vm, releasenotes-text.vm, releasenotes-custom-text.vm

"

With these changes, I cannot make my custom releasenotes to work. With changes at jpm.xml, I can make them work.
I would like to make it correctly, so that upgrading JIRA would not override customisations.

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2016

Need one more confirmation that do you place jira-config.properties file in the JIRA home directory.

tomc July 26, 2016

Actually when checking, no I did not. "jira-config.properties" was at same path, where jpm.xml was. My bad. 

I checked from our installation (jira-application.properties and environment variables), that we had "jira.home = /data/JIRA" at jira-application.properties and no environment variable was set. Now, when placing the jira-config.properties to /data/JIRA/, in our JIRA home directory, the problem was solved.

Thank you Bharadwaj Jannu for pointing me to the problem!

Suggest an answer