Edit options for a Subtask

Dawn Cooper October 11, 2016

I am looking to configure a subtask in Jira, Currently the subtask inherits from its parent, the sprint. I want to make this an option to edit in the subtask.

3 answers

0 votes
Dawn Cooper October 14, 2016

Thanks Steven, and Nic I understand what you are saying and had the same thoughts. My users are looking to be able to split the work out and their thought is that if they can have a task that can be in a different sprint they wanted to. I wanted to make sure that the tool doesn't allow it. Unfortunately some that are using the tool here are not following agile. thanks!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2016

I know, users are a pain sometimes wink

The problem here isn't really not following Agile, it's probably more that they're using sub-tasks in totally the wrong way.  A sub-task really is there to represent part of a story.  Dealing with it as though it's not part of the story screams that it should not be a sub-task on that story.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2016

That makes no sense at all.  A sub-task is part of it's owning-issue.  If that owning-issue is in sprint X, how could a subtask not be in there?  If you have a case where a sub-task is in a different sprint to its parent, then you are using them incorrectly - the subtask should either be a story it nits own right, or belong to a story that doesn't conflict.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2016

This is not possible at all. Subtasks are not avaliable in the backlog and it is hardcoded to inherit the Sprint from the Story.

Suggest an answer