Edit details sections

Nathan Fletcher January 11, 2016

I'd like to remove certain fields (priority, components, labels and Resolution) of the 'Details' section but I'm struggling to understand how to do this.

Details.PNG

I've gone into Project Administration > Fields and can see Components, but I cannot find any way to remove this (or any other) from the Details section.

Fields Screen.PNG

Please help!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Nic, can you elaborate please?

The reasons why I've removed the 'Resolution' field are:

1. There seems to be some conflicting opinions as to it's use.
  2. When selecting 'Resolution' it asks you to select a reason e.g. Fixed, Duplicate, etc.  These are not currently required for our measures.

For anything that is not 'Closed', but we are unable to progress, we will place 'On-hold'.  Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2016

JIRA, and many of the add-ons *rely* on resolution to tell you whether an issue is "done" or not. Even if you don't ask the users for it, you really need to set and clear it, or all the "issues closed" type reporting stops dead (because everything is open) There's nothing wrong with your Closed/On-hold approach, that's perfectly fine. But unless you set a resolution, those status are "unresolved" and will be reported as open.

Thanks Nic. I shall certainly re-evaluate the use of the 'Resolution' field based on your comments.

Just one further question, when it comes to reporting on end to end times within JIRA Service Desk, is it best practice report between 'Ticket Creation' and 'Resolved Time', or 'Ticket Creation and 'Closed Time'? In the 'Queues' section I can find a column for 'Resolved Time', which makes me believe that 'Ticket Creation' to 'Resolved Time' is easily reportable, but I'm struggling to find anything for 'Closed Time'.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

Depends on your reporting. Some people need the "time issue entered a particular status", but that might not be that useful if you have multiple status that you might want to track. That's as clear as mud, and I don't know how to improve the prose, so here's some worked examples: 1. An issue can go from "in progress" to "resolved" and then to "closed". You can easily track the "closed" date. 2. An issue can go from "in progress" to "resolved" and then to "closed", but could be "closed" from anywhere. You need to think if the resolution is what you want to trap, or the closed event 3. An issue could be "closed" or "cancelled" or "rejected", with all of those representing valid "end states" for it. You probably want to work off the resolution date on those.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2016

Sorry, I left out: There is no "closed date" because you don't have to have "closed" in a workflow. Resolution is always there and Jira traps the last time you resolved it, but it can't handle the workflow states because they could be anything. So you need to look at the issue history to get any transition dates.

Nathan Fletcher January 12, 2016

Thanks Nic. I've added the 'Resolution' step back into the workflow too.

1 vote
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2016

Hi Nathan,

You cannot delete system fields like the one's referred above, rather you can edit the field configuration of the Project (Assuming this field configuration is not being shared by other projects. Because, changing shared schemes will affect other projects), make the system fields hidden and you will not see them on screens.

Regards

Chander

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2016

You will want to undo that change for Resolution - you need it.

0 votes

Thanks Chander.  I've hidden the fields and they no longer appear.

0 votes

Hi Lisa, I tried selecting the 22 as you've suggested but it didn't give me the option to remove any of the screens. However, I've since resolved the issue by hiding the fields within Field Configuration. Thanks for your help though.

0 votes
Lisa Reilly January 11, 2016

Take Component off all of the "View" screens you want to remove it from. Project ISD uses X screen/s, click on the 22 screens beside Component and untick all of the screens related to Project ISD.

Suggest an answer