Edit a ticket when the assignee no longer exists..

Deleted user May 1, 2013

When trying to edit a ticket that is resolved, the assignee no longer exists due to leaving the company.

I get the following error message

"<username> does not exists"

To get around this we had to reassign the ticket then carry on with the edit, however this then misleads who actually did the work on the ticket.

Is it possible to allow editing of tickets even the assignee no longer exists.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Deactivated users don't count towards the user count for the licenses. The problem I see is when someone is removed entirely from Active Directory which remove them entirely from JIRA. Then editing an issue can fail due to not having a user.

1 vote
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Hi,

Make sure you dont have a Assignee field on your edit screen & then try editing the ticket.

Or have a new transition without Assignee field on the screen & then try editing the ticket.

This was working in our JIRA

Brian Brooks June 15, 2021

This worked for me on JIRA 6.4.1.  Had to modify the JIRA project's "Screen Schemes":

1. Copy screen used for Scrum Screen to a new screen "Screen without Assignee".
  2. Configure "Screen without Assignee", removing the "Assignee" field (and "Reporter" field).
  3. "Configure" the scrum screen scheme.
  4. Click the button in top right "Associate an Issue Operation with a Screen".
    1. Select "Issue Operation" > "Edit Issue".
    2. Select new screen created above "Screen without Assignee".
    3. Click "Add".
  5. Now editing an issue doesn't try to update the Assignee field.
0 votes
Deleted user May 1, 2013

But we need the history of a ticket for audit purposes, so doing this is not possible. We would possible lose valuable history of a ticket.

0 votes
Deleted user May 1, 2013

I think the only way to do this, is to create a user locally to jira with the same name and then deactivate them to see if this will allow a user to edit a ticket.

We will set this up on the test server to see if it works.

0 votes
skorzinetzki May 1, 2013

Perhaps merge every leaving employee in a single account called "employee left" or something like this. You will lose the concrete relation of the ticket to specific person, but since the person left, this isn't that relevant anymore?!

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

I think the only way to do that is to activate the user again.

Deleted user May 1, 2013

But this requires a license, also our instance authenticates against Active Directory so when a user is disabled and remove from the relevent group the user is removed from Jira. We cant really have stale active users in Jira.

codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

Yes, that's right. But this is the license model of Atlassian: You'll need a valid license for every account which is assignable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events