Edit a ticket when the assignee no longer exists..

When trying to edit a ticket that is resolved, the assignee no longer exists due to leaving the company.

I get the following error message

"<username> does not exists"

To get around this we had to reassign the ticket then carry on with the edit, however this then misleads who actually did the work on the ticket.

Is it possible to allow editing of tickets even the assignee no longer exists.

6 answers

1 accepted

Deactivated users don't count towards the user count for the licenses. The problem I see is when someone is removed entirely from Active Directory which remove them entirely from JIRA. Then editing an issue can fail due to not having a user.

I think the only way to do that is to activate the user again.

But this requires a license, also our instance authenticates against Active Directory so when a user is disabled and remove from the relevent group the user is removed from Jira. We cant really have stale active users in Jira.

Yes, that's right. But this is the license model of Atlassian: You'll need a valid license for every account which is assignable.

Perhaps merge every leaving employee in a single account called "employee left" or something like this. You will lose the concrete relation of the ticket to specific person, but since the person left, this isn't that relevant anymore?!

I think the only way to do this, is to create a user locally to jira with the same name and then deactivate them to see if this will allow a user to edit a ticket.

We will set this up on the test server to see if it works.

But we need the history of a ticket for audit purposes, so doing this is not possible. We would possible lose valuable history of a ticket.

Hi,

Make sure you dont have a Assignee field on your edit screen & then try editing the ticket.

Or have a new transition without Assignee field on the screen & then try editing the ticket.

This was working in our JIRA

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,264 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot