Edit Custom Fields for Projects in Jira

Oanh Nguyen September 10, 2019

Can you create custom fields for different projects? Someone told me that "Custom fields are common to other projects as well, it cannot be assigned to one project."

This is in response to "How do I pre-populate text to a description field on JIRA?"

2 answers

0 votes
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2019

Hello @Oanh Nguyen

You can create custom fields and add them in any project you want. 

For example, I created 3 custom fields with text area for bugs description, so when a bug is created, the user fill in the description the problem and in those 3 fields:

Steps to reproduce 

Describe how it works

Describe how it should work.

For our team, these fields are easier to see. 

I hope this helped, if there's anything you would like to know I'm glad to help. 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

Certain fields are common to all Jira issues like description and summary.  Other custom fields can be global or unique to specific projects.  I have had a similar issue where I wanted to either append or change the description field on a single project or issue type.  To do this I have used ScriptRunner or JSU to make the change in the projects workflow on issue create.  

Suggest an answer