Eclipse Connector keep asking me to login about 20-30 times a day

Martin Eriksson September 13, 2012

Hi,

working with JIRA 5.2.1 and the latest version of the Eclipse connector 3.0.6, eclipse version 3.7,3.8 and 4.2. Jira is configured to use LDAP for user credentials.

for some members of the team this is a bigger problem then others but quite a few of us are suffering. We use the connector to work on issues and log time directly from eclipse. The connector is setup correctly to connect to jira and the connection validates and works perfectly but several times a day (anything from 10-30 times) it will popup a connector dialog asking for my password again, even though I have it checked in the config to save my password, in the dialog that popsup the check box is unchecked, as if it failed connecting using the credential and is asking me to check my information..

normally all you have to do is just click "ok" again on the dialog and it goes away and everything works as normal again but its hugely annoying to have a dialog pop up stealing focus many many times a day..

any idea what this could be? or a way to debug it? what is the current timeout? and how many times does it retry before it gives up?

none of the times that the dialog popup does JIRA report any problem or anything and everything is working fine in the browser at that time, and the connector works fine for other developers..

2 answers

0 votes
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

You can change the synchronization interval in Preferences | Mylyn | Tasks settings dialog. Play with it and let us know the outcome. Does it work better if the interval is longer? Does it work worse if the interval is shorter?

It is quite weird issue but my feeling is that Connector should handle this situation better and do not ask for password if it has not been changed.

Maybe you could grab the stacktrace from Eclipse when it pops up the password dialog.
kill -3 or Ctrl+break should work.
I won't be able to add any additional logging there in an easy way as the popup is handled by Mylyn.

Cheers,
Jacek

0 votes
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Hi Martin,

I believe your JIRA version is not 5.2.1. Can you give me the correct version number?

After log in to JIRA, Connector keeps session cookie and works somehow like a browser. JIRA is responsible for session timeout. Don't you face similar issue when accessing JIRA through browser? Is it your local JIRA?

I would like to narrow the issue to make it more easy to investigate. Are you able to give me some more details like:

• Have you upgraded your JIRA recently?
  • Do you access JIRA through the browser before you are logged out from the session used by Connector? Maybe creating new JIRA session in the browser makes the Connector session invalid.
  • Can you check the following: open your repository dialog, provide credentials, check 'store password', validate settings, close dialog, open dialog again and confirm that all data is there? I want to confirm that Connector stores all login data successfully.
  • Anything else which could be related?

Your LDAP integration may be also the culprit but let's start with the above questions first.

Cheers,
Jacek

Martin Eriksson September 25, 2012

sorry the version is: Atlassian JIRA (v5.1.4#783-sha1:a7d8d2c

after some testing lately have figured out some more stuff..

Yes we did upgrade JIRA from 4.4 > 5.1.4, but the problem was there before as well..

most of the developers have both browser and eclipse open and working at the same time, since clicking jira links in e-mails will open in browser so there will be different ways of accessing jira at the same time..

checked settings they are saved correctly beteween opens.

I think the problem is the Active Directory connection.. now and then I see in the main jira log that it times out! using the default 120 seconds, which is quite crazy since its two machines sitting next to each other on a gigabit lan. So think there is for sure some issue with JIRA connecting to the Active Directory server.. of course the Windows Sysadmin is sure there is nothing wrong with the AD box because if there was there would be hundred people unable to work since all windows stuff uses that AD box for their authentication...

So I'm starting to think the problem is not in the connector but in JIRAs abillity to talk to the MS Active Directory (if its the fault of JIRA or AD i have no idea).

and maybe we just hit it a lot more with the connector because it goes and pulls so often from the JIRA server to keep the tasks up to date in eclipse and keeps trying to authenticate very often? and hence it has more of a problem there then if we were just doing it through the web..

would be nice if you could configure how often you want it to go and check for updates in the connector? or some way to configure timeout to work around flaky JIRA <-> AD connection..

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

You can change the synchronization interval in Preferences | Mylyn | Tasks settings dialog. Play with it and let us know the outcome. Does it work better if the interval is longer? Does it work worse if the interval is shorter?

It is quite weird issue but my feeling is that Connector should handle this situation better and do not ask for password if it has not been changed.

Maybe you could grab the stacktrace from Eclipse when it pops up the password dialog.
kill -3 or Ctrl+break should work.
I won't be able to add any additional logging there in an easy way as the popup is handled by Mylyn.

Cheers,
Jacek

Martin Eriksson September 25, 2012

oki thanks will play around a bit with the Mylan settings a bit.. worst case we will move over to turn of syncing all together and when devs want update they just press the manual sync..

Suggest an answer