[EazyBI Jira 7] Why a dimension cannot be both in "page" and "row/column" zone?

Jerome Renaud July 26, 2016

Hi,

Everything is in the title: Why a dimension  cannot be  both in "page" and "row/column" zone?

It sounds pretty useful to have a dimension used in the same time as a filter and row/column label.

I do it by using the dimension in row/column and then filtering (regexp), but for dashboards it's not really user friendly.

Any insight? 

6 answers

1 vote
Zane eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

Hi @Ajith Abraham@Jerome Renaud@Simone Drose-Schneider

Starting from eazyBI version 4.6 and also eazyBI for Jira Cloud you may use one dimension in the report rows (or columns) and pages at the same time. It allows to display the dimension members in rows and use this same dimension to filter them.

For more details and how to use this option, please see the documentation:
https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/analyze-and-visualize/create-reports#Createreports-Pagedimensions

Best,

Zane / support@eazyBI.com

0 votes
Simone Drose-Schneider August 1, 2018

Hi,

I've also stumbled across this challenge. Has their been any update on this? I cannot see how to have one dimension used in columns as well as pages yet.

For instance, I'd like to give the user the opportunity to decide which issues they would like to view and which status. I.e. I'd like to view all issues types and their status, and then I'd like to filter for Bugs in Status "Assigned".

Has there been any solution yet?

Cheers
Simone

Ilze Leite-Apine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2018

Hi Simon, 

good news: in the very next eazyBI release 4.6.0. coming out in a couple of weeks, there is included the feature to select the same dimension in Rows as well as in Pages as a filter. 

This feature is already available in eazyBI for Jira Cloud!

Ilze, support@eazybi.com

Simone Drose-Schneider August 2, 2018

Hi Ilze,

Thanks for coming back so quickly on that! Looking forward to this implementation!

Cheers
Simone

0 votes
Jerome Renaud August 24, 2016

Hi Ilze,

Understood, several tricks can do the job, thank you for giving me hints on how to do it. Nevertheless from my user perspective this limitation is not productive, it would be more intuitive and simpler to "page" by any used or unused dimension.

Thanks anyway!

Jerome

0 votes
Ilze Leite-Apine
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2016

Hi Jerome, 

thank you for the answer!

If developers belong to a particular JIRA user group (or several groups dedicated to group developers), you could import and use "Logged by Group" dimension in Pages and "Logged by" dimension in rows, with enabled "nonempty" option. Then only values for Logged by users belonging to selected JIRA user group(s), would be displayed in the report.

For Busines units, probably you could precalculate "Business unit" as an additional custom field (based on Project code field information) and import it as a separate dimension using Advanced settings. Precalculation could be done during data import using JavaScript calculated custom fields or directly in JIRA using JIRA Misc scripted fields. Then you could select "Business unit" dimension in Pages and "Project code" dimension in Rows (again, together with nonempty option) - then only values for Project codes from selected Busines unit would be displayed in the report.

For more detailed information, please contact support@eazyBI.com .

Ilze,

eazyBI Customer Support Consultant

0 votes
Jerome Renaud July 27, 2016

Hi Ilze,

I have to very common use cases.

I'm managing several development departments (calculated member) so I want to be able to see by department and by developer. So I'll need to be able to filter by a set of developers but still have the data organized and displayed by developer also (the logged by dimension will be then both in "pages" and "rows"). Lately I've created an analysis to track planned vs actual time spent at issue level. Not being able to have it "grouped" by developer was painful due to the number of issues. I have tons of reports based on developer dimension (injection rate, reporting ratio, time ratios, etc.) it's one of my mains analysis axis.

An other  use case is that we need to track activities by project code name (it's a custom dimension). Then we need to be able to group code names by business unites we have (calculated member). So here in "pages" we have one or several BU selected then in rows we need to see data grouped by "project code".

As described above it mostly looks like we need a "group by" feature.

Let me know if you need further details.

0 votes
eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2016

Hi Jerome, 

Currently, this is an eazyBI design decision that a dimension can be placed only once in Pages, Rows or Columns.

We are thinking about how to improve change of row and column selection in dashboards (similar to common dashboard pages selection).

Could you share most common use cases (which dimensions) when you would like to select the same dimension selected in Rows or Pages also as a Page selection?

Currently, you can select Project dimension in Pages and display Issue dimension Project level members in rows.

Ilze, support@eazybi.com

Ajith Abraham March 19, 2019

There will situation if I want to apply product category as filter and at the same time in rows to see exact projects

Suggest an answer