Easy creation of Permission Scheme

Rafal Zawadzki July 23, 2017

I would like to create a project visible and manageable only by a group of a users.

If I understand correctly, I need to create first such group - it has been already done and create a permission scheme. However, nanually  granting permission to all dozens is time consuming process - is there a way to quickly add all permissions to a specific group?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2017

You can ceratinly assign permissions to each individual user on a permission scheme.  But it quickly become very tedious if you have more than 2-3 users or if you have to every update this.

I would recommend taking a closer look at the KB JIRA permissions made simple.  It helps to explain how you can assign permissions to specific groups or better yet to specific project roles.   From there you can just assign the group of users to which project roles that group should have.  This is prefered because users can come and go in your organization, and editing permission schemes each time this happens can be a pain to do.  But if all you need to do is update a group membership or change a project role, it does help to manage and maintain who has access to what in JIRA.

You might not need to create a permission scheme from scratch either. Instead I think it would be easier to simply copy an existing scheme, like the default one.  You will notice that this scheme by default does not list groups or indiviauls, but rather "Project role - Administrator", or "Project role - Developers".  These aren't user groups, but rather roles specifically defined for that project.   You can then edit the project roles in the project administration page to complete this.

Rafal Zawadzki March 20, 2018

Thanks - sorry for late answer.

Suggest an answer