Easy Agile Programs: Integrating Scrum and Kanban boards in one Program?

lmaxwell November 18, 2020

We are using Easy Agile Programs (Jira Add-on) for our SAFe Program Increment Planning. Most of the teams in our train are scrum, but we have a few supporting teams who are using kanban boards. 

Is there any way to integrate both board types into one EA Program? 

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

-Lisa

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gloria Ojukwu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2020

Hi Lisa,

If you mean integrating both Kanban and Scrum in one board, yes it pretty straightforward and simple. Just chose the board menu on the project you will see both Scrum and Kanban buttons. You can easily create both boards from there.

Regards,

Gloria.

0 votes
Jasmin Iordanidis January 11, 2021

Hi Lisa, 

Easy Agile Programs supports both Scrum and Kanban boards with the exception of Estimation. For this reason Issue estimates and Sprint capacities are not available on Kanban boards in Easy Agile Programs.

Despite this, Easy Agile Programs can absolutely support your team to implement SAFe and PI Planning, particularly with regards to providing alignment at a team-of-teams level between your Scrum and Kanban teams.

A Kanban team will find that their Team Planning board is still broken up into Sprints, but I’d like to emphasise that for these teams these will simply represent containers of work. The reason Sprints exist in this view, even for Kanban teams, is to facilitate visualising dependencies between teams.

If your Kanban teams are working independently - in the sense that they do not have any dependencies with Scrum teams - then you would simply pull in the items of work into the first sprint i.e. the left column.

If your Kanban teams do have dependencies with the Scrum teams, then we would suggest allocating the dependent item of work into the most reasonable/likely Sprint column for completion. Please note, this is only should you wish to use the feature of being able to visualise dependencies between teams.

I hope this helps, but please do reach out if you have further questions. I might also recommend registering for our Ask Us Anything  Session for Easy Agile Programs next week with our Head of Product - Teagan Harbridge.

Thanks so much Lisa, have a great day. 

Jasmin
Easy Agile Team

Suggest an answer