Easiest way to resolve all linked tickets automatically?

Nathaniel Erlandson September 26, 2016

I have an instance where tickets will be cloned from the Service desk project and linked/moved into a software project, where they will be worked on.

So I need some kind of setup where once that ticket in Software proj is resolved, the linked ticket in service desk is resolved as well. I've seen a number of ways to do this, but some of them are a bit dated and I'm curious if there's an easier, better solution out nowadays. I'm also curious if the automation side in Service Desk can handle this. If anyone can run me through a best practice here, I'd appreciate it.

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

I too am trying to achieve the very same thing.

I have created a status (state) in my workflow called "Development". When an IT request comes in for an internal software application that is a bug or enhancement and we 'accept' it for development we transition the JSD ticket to Development, clone it and move the clone to the appropriate JIRA SW project. The Development state allows me to have a different SLA metric. I pause the "IT" SLA clock and start a "DEV" SLA clock.

So that is all great but I would ideally like to have the closure of the development clone result in resolution of the IT ticket. Secondarily it would really be nice if I could automatically share a comment between JIRA SW and JSD. As I am on JIRA cloud the options are very limited. I was hoping that somehow the JSD automation would allow me to do this but nothing obvious as yet. Possibly I can do something via a webhook.

Nathaniel Erlandson September 26, 2016

With some testing, I was able to resolve it in part by simply associating both projects with the same workflow. I know this will probably give me issues down the road, as a JSD and JSW will split somewhere workflow-wise. But I think those issues will be more manageable through workflow post-functions/conditions, and having this capability of auto ticket-link closing is much too important to compromise right now.

I tested cloud for a a couple months and found it to be exactly that - a real limiting factor in what I was trying to achieve with JIRA and I seemed to be hitting roadblocks everywhere. While even on server there are still roadblocks, they are more manageable. What the main dealbreaker was for me were the plugins - there are too many essential plugins only available for JIRA server that really help to build out your JIRA instance.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

Yep, server is generally the way to go and what I used at my last job but cloud is certainly much easier and, with a few exceptions, meets my current needs. Aligning workflows isn't going to work for me unfortunately. I'm going to keep investigating solutions. If I find something I will post here.

0 votes
Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2016

We are doing the same thing since 1,5 years for now using the Misc Workflow Extensions Plugin for JIRA (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions/cloud/overview)

There is a postfunction called "transition linked issue" with which you are able to change the status of your Service Desk issue automatically by changing the status of your Software issue.

you simply tell the postfunction the name of the link between these issues and the transition id you want to start in your SD issue. you also can add a condition with some script (i.e. target issue has to be in project "abc")

Nathaniel Erlandson September 27, 2016

Okay, that sounds like it would be perfect. I see the postfunction triggers on all issues linked to current issue, so am I setting this inside Software's workflow, but using the SD's transition ID I want to fire?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2016

I'm sure the post function would be on the SW workflow. Nice to have an option but geez, I have to fork out $50/mo for this (100 users). sad I will have a closer look at the plugin. Hopefully i can somehow find some additional value that would equate to the cost. It used to be that you would buy a software application that had all the bells and whistles for a few hundred bucks that would carry you for a couple years. Now you buy a monthly subscription for a little widget add-on. 

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2016

right you paste that postfunction in the SW Workflow transition which resolves your SW Issue. In the postfunction you have to add the id of the transition that resolves your SD issue. then your SD transition will be triggered automatically.

you also have to add a User who triggers this postfunction. you have to make sure that this user is allowed to transition, close and resolve issues in your SD Project.

(if my answer is okay for you, it would be nice if you could vote for it smile i'm not able to add more than 2 comments a day, because i don't have any points yet)

Suggest an answer